‘Can’t believe it’: Souths star suffering from MND

Source: Kayo
Rugby league star Jai Arrow says he is “ready to fight” after being diagnosed with motor neurone disease, forcing his immediate retirement from the game.
Souths chief executive Blake Solly and coach Wayne Bennett revealed on Wednesday that the State of Origin enforcer had the debilitating disease.
Arrow later told the Nine Network his speech had already been affected by the neurological condition, which causes gradual loss of function.
He said his first reaction after being told what was wrong with him was to laugh.
“Not that I laughed, but my first question was ‘all right, where do I go now?’. [It has] progressed from November until now. Speech is among those things [that is different].”
When asked what his future would look like, the Souths forward said he would not lie down.
“I wanted to do this to let people know I am OK and I am ready to fight,” he told Nine.
“I do really have a lot. Nothing is gonna take me out easy. I wanna do everything I can — any trial, any medication that will maintain me for as long as I can.
“I want to inspire other people who have been diagnosed.”
An emotional coach Wayne Bennett said on Wednesday: “There’s goosebumps running through me now. It’s just the last way you want someone to retire.
“But it is what it is and he’s handling it great and he’s helping us handle it a lot better as well.”
Arrow, who is only 30, played 98 games for the Rabbitohs after Bennett lured the classy forward to the club in 2021. He also handed the then-20-year-old his first-grade debut at Brisbane a decade ago.
Source: Code NRL
Arrow also had four seasons at Gold Coast following his two-year stint at the Broncos and played 12 games for Queensland between 2018 and 2023.
He helped the Maroons win series in 2020, 2022 and 2023 while also playing in the Rabbitohs’ 2021 grand final loss to Penrith.
“He’s a wonderful young man to be part of the football club,” Bennett said.
“We can’t believe what’s going to happen to him but he knows he’s got the support of everybody in the change room and he knows he’s got the support of everybody on the staff.
“He deserves all the accolades and all the support that he can get because he has a battle on his hands. He knows that and he also knows that he won’t have to do it by himself.
“He’ll need that, but we’ll always be there for him in this club. That’s just the DNA of this club. He’ll need us and we’ll need him. No one’s walking away from anybody.”

Jai Arrow watches from the bench after injuring his shoulder in 2024. Photo: AAP
The father of a one-year-old daughter is hugely respected in NRL circles and won the George Piggins Medal in 2025 as the Rabbitohs’ player of the year.
He also won the Bob McCarthy club person of the year award in 2025, the Souths Cares Award for outstanding contributions to the community and The Burrow Appreciation Award in 2024.
Arrow was also a finalist for the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal in 2025 for his work with Souths Cares, Whatability and Vinnies Vans.
While declining to take questions, he bravely fronted Wednesday’s press conference in Sydney as Solly read out a statement on his behalf.
“Thank you for the support I’ve received over what has been an incredibly difficult and uncertain period in my life,” it said.
“After extensive medical testing and consultations regarding ongoing symptoms, I have recently received a diagnosis relating to a nerve and neurological condition.
“Further tests, specialist reviews and medical processes are still ongoing, and my doctors are continuing to assess my condition.
“Over recent months, my symptoms have affected different parts of my everyday life.
“On medical advice, I am not currently medically cleared to train or play at the required level, and I will be stepping away from those duties while I focus fully on my health, treatment, and rehabilitation.”
Arrow thanked the entire South Sydney club — from fans, staff and teammates including Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker, who were also there for the announcement – for their support.
He vowed to “fight this with everything I’ve got”.
“What I need right now isn’t sympathy or sadness. What I need is support, understanding and privacy while my family and I navigate this difficult time,” he said.
“This is only part of my story and when the time is right I’ll share more.”
Arrow’s diagnosis comes 2½ years after former Maroons forward Carl Webb died of MND aged 42.
The rugby league world was also rocked when Western Suburbs, Balmain and North Sydney great Scott Gale died of the debilitating condition at just 39 in 2004.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








