Advertisement

Tedesco’s NSW recall joy, Blues name six Origin rookies

James Tedesco is back in blue after being recalled by NSW for State of Origin's game one in Sydney.

James Tedesco is back in blue after being recalled by NSW for State of Origin's game one in Sydney. Photo: AAP

James Tedesco concedes he thought his time as a State of Origin player was over after dethroning Dylan Edwards to reclaim his crown as NSW’s premier fullback.

Of all the decisions Blues coach Laurie Daley agonised over in picking his squad for the series opener on May 27, the hardest was choosing between Tedesco and incumbent No.1 Edwards.

Daley has shown no favours after losing last year’s series, picking six debutants and dumping Penrith’s Edwards – famed for his relentless workrate – from his 19-man squad.

Game one will mark Tedesco’s 24th Blues appearance and his first since the opening game of the 2024 series.

“I’m proud of myself to get back to this team, this arena,” said Tedesco, the reigning Dally M Medallist.

“I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to get back to being in this jersey again, so to be here is pretty cool.”

Daley said a big factor in his selection was the fact Tedesco had played Test and Origin football with halfback Nathan Cleary and featured at club level with five-eighth Mitchell Moses and starting hooker Reece Robson.

“Dylan has done nothing wrong, it’s just [about] the style of footy we want to play in game one,” Daley said.

state of origin

James Tedesco is back in blue after being recalled by NSW for State of Origin’s game one in Sydney. Photo: AAP

Tedesco forms part of an exciting backline that will be without Latrell Mitchell due to a back injury, with Kotoni Staggs and Stephen Crichton to slot in at centre with debutant Tolu Koula and Brian To’o on the wings.

Staggs (foot) and Crichton (shoulder) have both carried injuries in recent weeks, while Daley laughed off the potential aerial threat the Blues had exposed themselves by picking the diminutive Koula and To’o together.

There is no place for in-form Warriors forward Jackson Ford in the front row, with Addin Fonua-Blake named to start in his Origin debut at age 30.

Fonua-Blake, Penrith outside back Casey McLean (both New Zealand) and Victor Radley (England) are all named for debuts following a loosening of the Origin eligibility rules over the off-season.

Daley’s other two debutants are bench hooker Blayke Brailey (Cronulla) and five-eighth Ethan Strange (Canberra), who has also been listed on the six-man interchange.

NSW squad for State of Origin game one

James Tedesco, Brian To’o, Stephen Crichton, Kotoni Staggs, Tolu Koula*, Mitchell Moses, Nathan Cleary, Addin Fonua-Blake, Reece Robson, Mitch Barnett, Hudson Young, Haumole Olakau’atu, Isaah Yeo (capt). Interchange: Cameron Murray, Victor Radley*, Jacob Saifiti, Blayke Brailey*, Ethan Strange*, Casey McLean*. Reserve: Dylan Lucas*.

* denotes debutants

Source: AAP

‘Chills’: Slater backs Walker as Walsh shock explained

Sam Walker has been backed by Billy Slater to guide Queensland from halfback as Dolphins prop Thomas Flegler makes an inspirational return to the State of Origin arena.

The Maroons have stuck solid with 11 players who won the Origin decider last year in the historic 24-12 triumph in Sydney, while naming six debutants in a 20-man squad to contest the Origin series opener, also in Sydney, on May 27.

Sydney Roosters playmaker Walker joins Dolphins pocket rocket Max Plath (lock) and Gold Coast winger Jojo Fifita as the new players in the starting side. Cronulla forward Briton Nikora (No.14 ) and Brisbane five-eighth Ezra Mam (No.18) are listed on the six-man bench. Dolphins powerhouse Kulikefu Finefeuiaki is 20th man.

The 23-year-old Walker has proven to be a big-game player through 96 NRL games. The Maroons brains trust are convinced he is ready to unleash his best at halfback after last year’s No.7 and player of the Origin series Tom Dearden suffered a syndesmosis injury playing for North Queensland.

“We feel really confident about Sam Walker being the best option to play halfback,” Slater said.

“I know how much he loves this state and I can imagine him in the backyard dreaming of playing for Queensland with the No.7 on his back. It gives me chills thinking about it.”

The omission of Broncos and Australia fullback Reece Walsh, below his best in recent weeks, will be a surprise to some but Newcastle talisman Kalyn Ponga has a wonderful pedigree in Origin football at No.1.

“It is difficult but we’ve all see what Kalyn’s done at this level and also his return for the Knights this year,” Slater said.

“He’s in exceptional form and I feel his best position is fullback. He knows how to play that position and has really nailed it.

“He’s in a sweet spot of his career and life.”

Recalled Flegler spent 677 days on the sidelines due to a shoulder nerve issue. His return to action this year was an inspirational story of dedication and commitment in itself.

To be backed by Slater to again lead the pack as a starting front-rower in Origin footy speaks volumes for the high esteem he is held in. The 26-year-old’s firebrand ways and uncompromising mentality up front will be crucial.

Queensland State of Origin squad game one

1. Kalyn Ponga, 2. Selwyn Cobbo, 3. Robert Toia, 4. Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, 5. Jojo Fifita, 6. Cameron Munster, 7. Sam Walker, 8. Thomas Flegler, 9. Harry Grant, 10. Tino Fa’asuamaleaui, 11, Reuben Cotter, 12. Kurt Capewell, 13. Max Plath, 14. Briton Nikora, 15, Lindsay Collins, 16, Pat Carrigan, 17, Trent Loiero, 18. Ezra Mam, 19. Gehamat Shibasaki, 20. Kulikefu Finefeuiaki.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.