Advertisement

Bishop shrugs off push to quit ANU position

Source: AAP

Former foreign minister Julie Bishop is being urged to quit as chancellor of the Australian National University, as the troubled institution attempts a reset.

Bishop has said she has no intention of leaving her post, despite a year-long public relations saga involving allegations of bullying and poor management.

Embattled vice-chancellor Genevieve Bell resigned on Thursday, after trying to introduce a $250 million cost-cutting program that angered staff and students.

Bell, who will eventually return to work as an academic, will be replaced by the university’s former provost Rebekah Brown.

Staff at a town hall at the university on Thursday cheered and clapped when they were told Bell had called it quits.

ACT independent Senator David Pocock is among those who’ve been critical of the university’s management. He said Bishop’s position as chancellor of the Canberra institution was untenable.

“The current leadership [has] been involved in getting it to the point that when the [vice-chancellor’s] resignation is announced, there’s huge cheers,” Pocock said on Friday.

He said grievance proceedings were under way and Bishop’s role was ultimately a matter for the university council.

“But based on what I’ve heard, I think there are very serious questions there,” Pocock said.

Bishop was grilled on Thursday over allegations levelled at her by academic Liz Allen, who told a parliamentary hearing earlier in 2025 she had been bullied almost to the point of suicide by the former deputy Liberal leader.

Bishop said she had the support of the university council and would serve out the remainder of her term, which ends in 2026.

“I reject the allegations that I heard for the first time on the 12th of August that I have treated any staff at ANU with anything other than the greatest respect and civility and courtesy,” she said.

“There are no grounds for me to stand aside.”

Bishop said she had placed a right of reply with the parliamentary committee last Monday and was awaiting confirmation it will be made public.

“I will not further compromise the integrity of a workplace grievance process that has now been put in place by the council,” she said.

“I recused myself from these discussions and that there will be an independent investigation into these allegations.”

Lifeline 131 114

beyondblue 1300 224 636

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.