Advertisement

More schools to close as asbestos concerns spread

Some school closures could last for days as asbestos decontamination work continues. (

Some school closures could last for days as asbestos decontamination work continues. ( Photo: AAP

Nearly 70 public schools will be closed across Canberra due to an asbestos scare after the toxic substance was reported in more brands of sand play products.

Monday’s compulsory closures in the ACT follow the shutdown of 23 schools and preschools there on Friday after the consumer watchdog warned a coloured sand may contain asbestos traces.

Some school closures could last days as decontamination work continues.

One Brisbane school was also closed on Friday. Others remained open across the nation, though the suspect products were identified at some sites.

ACT asbestos schools

Safety alerts have been issued urging schools to stop using certain sand products. Photo: AAP

Asbestos removal contractors worked over the weekend to remove asbestos-tainted sand supplied by Officeworks from ACT schools.

But the ACT Education Department was obliged on Sunday to notify the closure of 69 schools on Monday after Kmart and Target issued a voluntary recall for a colour sand product that might contain asbestos.

“Unfortunately, these sand products are even more widely used in our schools than the Officeworks products,” ACT Education and Early Childhood Minister Yvette Berry said.

“We are now in a position that we need to close additional schools tomorrow.”

Families and staff were informed of the closures by email.

School staff and SES volunteers have walked through the schools looking for coloured sand, and reporting any finds.

asbestos ACT schools

Health officials say the risk of contamination is low and are not recommending clinical assessments. Photo: AAP

Licensed asbestos contractors needed to test, remediate and clear the spaces for use again, a process that could take days, Berry said.

“This is a best practice in managing hazardous materials and I am committed to putting the safety of staff and students first,” she said.

“All of the air testing that our contractors have done across public schools so far has been negative to airborne asbestos.

“Health officials yesterday confirmed that the risk is very low, and they do not recommend any clinical assessment for people in contact with these products.”

Safety alerts have been issued in nearly every state and territory urging schools, consumers and service providers to stop using the sand products.

asbestos ACT schools

Schools have been closed over asbestos contamination fears linked to coloured sand. Photo: AAP

Products linked to the asbestos scare have been identified at more than 100 sites in South Australia, with hazard alerts issued but no schools closed.

The product found at ACT schools was imported from China and sold as Kadink Decorative Sand in tubes weighing 10 grams, Worksafe ACT said.

It comes after a national recall of children’s sand products sold at retailers including Officeworks, Educating Kids, Modern Teaching Aids and Zart Art.

The Australian Competition and Consumer Commission issued alerts after asbestos traces were detected in laboratory testing.

—AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.