Tributes for Australian sniper killed in parachute accident

Source: Mike Bowers
A Defence Force paratrooper and sniper who died in a parachuting accident has been remembered for his sense of humour and deep commitment to serving Australia.
Warrant Officer Lachlan Muddle, 50, was fatally injured in a mid-air collision with a fellow soldier during a training exercise on Monday evening at the Australian Defence Force’s Jervis Bay Airfield, on NSW’s south coast.
The other soldier sustained minor injuries in the accident, which occurred after the pair had deployed their parachutes.
“Both parachutists were deeply experienced,” Defence Minister Richard Marles said on Tuesday.
“Between them, they had engaged in thousands of jumps.”
Marles said the ADF had lost “one of its finest” with the death of Muddle, who joined the army in 1994 and was a member of the SAS (Special Air Service Regiment). He participated in five separate deployments, including to Afghanistan.
“Lachlan Muddle was an expert sniper,” Marles said. “He was a deeply experienced Special Forces soldier, and he is very much remembered for his humour and for his commitment to service.”
Special Operations Commander Major General Garth Gould said Muddle had been taking part in a six-week advanced free-fall training exercise. The ill-fated jump was conducted in the early evening with participants wearing night-vision goggles.
“After successfully opening their parachutes, what we know about the incident is that both paratroopers collided several hundred feet above the ground whilst they were manoeuvring towards the drop zone,” Gould said.
“After the collision, both soldiers fell from height.”
Gould echoed the Defence Minister’s comments about WO Muddle’s skills, professionalism, sense of humour and “deep commitment to serving the nation”.
“He was highly regarded within our community.”
All parachuting operations within the ADF have been paused while initial investigations into the accident are conducted.
“There will be a series of investigations both within the defence force and more broadly,” Marles said.
“And we are committed to those being as thorough as possible so that every necessary lesson is learnt.”
The death is the first in a parachuting accident since Lance Corporal Jack Fitzgibbon, son of former federal defence minister Joel Fitzgibbon, died in March 2024 during a training incident at RAAF Base Richmond, north-west of Sydney.

Jack Fitzgibbon (right) was the only son of former Labor defence minister Joel.
Fitzgibbon’s death led to an investigation by the Department of Defence and a two-month halt to parachute training activities.
Despite the two deaths, Gould said he was confident in the safety procedures in place for parachute training.
“They are up to scratch and fit for purpose. I’ve got a high degree of confidence in our training system,” he said.
The Department of Defence said it would support Muddle’s family and all members involved in the tragic accident.
“The death of one of our soldiers is a tragedy and deeply felt by the army family and across the broader defence community,” the department said in a statement.
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese also released a statement paying tribute to the lost soldier.
“This tragic accident is a stark reminder that there are no easy days for those who defend our nation,” he said.
RSL NSW extended its condolences to Muddle’s family and the wider defence community after the accident.
“Training accidents are a stark reminder of the risks our servicemen and women continue to face in service to the nation, both here at home and abroad,” it said on Facebook.
The last active service member to die in any incident was in October 2025, when a M113 armoured personnel carrier rolled during a training exercise west of Townsville.
Two other service members were hospitalised with relatively minor injuries after the incident but were released.
Two soldiers were also killed in a truck rollover south of Townsville in August 2021.
The department was charged in September 2023 with breaching federal work health and safety laws over the incident.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








