Flight delays and cancellations amid global Airbus recall


Passengers queue at the Jetstar service desk as flights are disrupted at Brisbane Airport on Saturday. Photo: AAP
Jetstar passengers have been warned to expect more flight delays and cancellations on Sunday after the airline was caught up in a global grounding of Airbus planes.
Ninety Jetstar flights were cancelled in Australia on Saturday, causing travel chaos in airports across the country.
The budget carrier was forced to ground 34 of its A320/1 aircraft due to a global software problem affecting half of Airbus’s global fleet (6,000 planes).
Aircraft engineers rushed to fix the issue, which left thousands of Australians stranded at airports around the nation.
“We’re expecting all affected aircraft to be ready to return to service overnight, allowing flights to resume as planned on Sunday,” a Jetstar spokeswoman said on Saturday.
“However, there may be some flow-on delays or cancellations on Sunday as our network fully recovers.”
The problem was related to a software upgrade on Airbus planes. It was discovered that solar radiation could interfere with the functioning of flight controls.
The issue was discovered after a US JetBlue flight made an emergency landing after the plane made a sudden uncommanded drop in altitude on October 30.
Engineering teams were deployed to Australian airports — primarily on the east coast — to reverse the software upgrade on affected planes, Jetstar head of flying operations Tyrone Simes said.
Simes said the repairs took between two and three hours for each aircraft, and he expected the work to finish on Saturday with the potential for some minor disruption on Sunday.
European plane manufacturer Airbus had ordered immediate precautionary action from operators of a significant number of A320 planes in service across the globe after discovering the glitch.
More than 6000 aircraft were affected by the alert, accounting for more than half of Airbus’s global A320 family fleet.
Australia’s aviation safety regulator was aware of the issue affecting the A320 family of aircraft globally.
“We are in contact with major airlines and confident they are acting quickly to minimise disruptions and ensure aircraft can be returned to service safely,” a spokesman said.
Melbourne Airport chief of aviation Jim Parashos had spoken to many travellers, especially schoolies, who had been planning to head to Byron Bay or the Gold Coast.
“We appreciate their frustration, but they’ve been very understanding,” he said.
Jetstar said it would contact customers if there are any further disruptions.
Qantas and Virgin Airlines have been unaffected by the software problem.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








