Advertisement

Own goal: Socceroos World Cup screening ban overturned

Fans at Federation Square in 2022

Source: Nine Network

Victoria’s Premier has intervened to overturn a ban on screening Socceroos matches at the upcoming World Cup at Federation Square the upcoming World Cup after a widespread backlash.

Jacinta Allan took to social media on Thursday to confirm she would overturn the ban on the prime site in Melbourne’s CBD showing the Australian men’s team clashes on a big screen.

“There’s always a risk of bad behaviour from a few dickheads at every public gathering, police and security will be on site, and there will be zero tolerance for it,” she said.

“The World Cup should bring us together, not keep us apart.

“Good luck Socceroos – Victoria is behind you.”

It follows an outcry from interstate and legends of the game when Melbourne Arts Precinct director and chief executive Katrina Sedgwick said on Wednesday that Federation Square would not hold public screenings after fans’ poor behaviour in past years.

“After careful consideration, ​we’ve made the decision not to show the World Cup on Fed Square’s Big Screen this year,” she said.

Sedgwick doubled down on her position earlier on Thursday, before Allan overrode her.

The move had frustrated fans, players and organisers of the sport alike, including Matildas captain Sam Kerr.

world cup

Sam Kerr voiced her disappointment at the decision. Image: Instagram

“Booooooooooo,” Kerr wrote in a caption on an Instagram post.

Former Socceroos captain Craig Foster had called the decision “absurd” and urged all those involved to find a way to make the screenings work.

Later on Thursday, he welcomed the change of heart, and thanked Allan for stepping in.

“Every major city needs fan zones and events to cheer on our national team in the most important sporting event there is,” Foster wrote on X.

“Moments that bring us all together, build sense of community, and last a lifetime.”

Football Australia had also expressed its disappointment with the state government and Melbourne Arts Precinct.

“The FIFA World Cup is the biggest sporting event in the world and unites Australia’s multicultural communities, while reinforcing our national identity,” chief executive Martin Kugeler said.

“Live sites create iconic moments for Australian sports fans. They bring all Australians together to celebrate and cheer our National Teams competing on the biggest stage.

“Melbourne is one of Australia’s sporting and multicultural capitals, and this decision goes against this tradition.

“Federation Square has created some of the most memorable moments in Australian sporting history, dating back to the Socceroos’ historic 2006 FIFA World Cup matches and the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.”

Federation Square has become a prime spot for thousands of fans to gather watch Australia’s men’s and women’s team matches since the 2006 World Cup.

In 2022, when Australia advanced to the round of 16, video of feverish celebrations at Fed Square and surrounds spread globally.

Several incidents marred the screening, however, including injuries to some and revellers setting off projectiles.

Sedgwick had suggested Federation Square’s layout meant it was difficult to control fan behaviour, particularly calling out the lighting of more than 100 flares at one screening.

The Socceroos will make their seventh appearance at the men’s World Cup finals. They have drawn Turkey, the US and Paraguay in the group stage of the tournament, which will be jointly hosted by Canada, Mexico and the US from June ​11 to July 19.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.