Advertisement

Matildas rally behind Foord as Kerr faces club limbo

Source: Matildas 

The Matildas have backed Caitlin Foord to overcome her Asian Cup heartache as questions continue to swirl around the club future of captain Sam Kerr.

As Australia’s squad was celebrated at a fan gathering in Sydney on Sunday, some of Joe Montemurro’s side had already started making tracks back to Europe after Saturday’s 1-0 defeat to Japan.

Foord and Clare Hunt were among the players to have caught early flights back to Britain as the rest of the squad was shown appreciation by a crowd of a couple of thousand fans in Sydney’s Darling Harbour.

The Matildas’ leadership group declined to speak publicly, leaving it to junior squad members Chloe Lincoln and Wini Heatley to front the media and discuss the loss to the Japanese.

Foord was crestfallen at fulltime on Saturday and would have left Australia in frustration after an off night in front of goal.

“Caitlin is a world-class player and we’ve seen many players in world football finish them and not finish them,” Montemurro said.

“She knows that on any other day she probably would have put them away.

“That’s life and that’s the attacking third — having the coldness and the patience to find the moment and the time to finish.

“We all gathered around her and she’s got this Matildas group which is a family.”

Caitlin Foord

A dejected Caitlin Foord after losing the Women’s Asian Cup final. Photo: AAP

Arsenal forward Foord will head back to the Women’s Super League alongside Kerr, who faces an uncertain future at Chelsea.

According to reports in Britain, the 32-year-old will not remain at Chelsea beyond this season and will instead move to America’s National Women’s Soccer League.

“I’ve heard nothing in regards to Sam’s situation at Chelsea,” Montemurro said.

“There’s competitive football everywhere, and there’s a lot of big clubs doing some fantastic things.

“Whether it’s Chelsea or another club, I’m sure that Sam Kerr will be in demand.”

View post on Instagram
 

Montemurro’s side will return to action in April in a friendly series in Nairobi. While the fixtures have yet to be announced, it is expected Australia will take part in a four-team tournament that includes India, Malawi and Kenya.

India was pumped 11-0 by Japan in the Asian Cup group stage, while Malawi and Kenya are ranked outside FIFA’s top 100.

Montemurro is expected to experiment as he looks to expose his team to different playing styles before next year’s World Cup.

“We’ll be leaving a few players home for obvious reasons because they have brutal league scenarios happening,” Montemurro said.

“I want to have a look at  the next generation of players.

“Africa will be an important one, and playing against African teams, it’s always very, very difficult. So, leading up to the World Cup we’re going to use it as a stepping stone.”

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.