Match cancelled after fans’ ‘utterly outrageous’ fireworks show

Source: X
Fans of a Dutch soccer club are in disgrace after an “utterly outrageous” firework display led to a match being abandoned just six minutes in.
The Dutch league match between Ajax and Groningen kicked off at the Johan Cruyff Arena in Amsterdam at 7pm on Sunday (local time).
But referee Bas Nijhuis took the players off the field after only six minutes as an incredible wave of fireworks and flares was ignited behind one of the goals.
Officials attempted to restart the match 45 minutes later, but were met with more fireworks. At that point, Nijhuis decided to formally abandon the game.
“If you want to hurt your club, then you should keep doing things like this. It’s disgraceful,” he told broadcaster ESPN after the game.
Ajax players also showed their frustration. Club captain Davy Klaassen threw up his hands at fans while striker Wout Weghorst was seen shaking his head.
Ajax, the club whose home game it was, was also furious.
“Ajax considers what happened in the stadium this evening to be utterly outrageous,” it said.
“We offer our apologies to everyone who has been affected in any way. The safety of spectators and players has been put at risk. That is unacceptable.
“We emphatically distance ourselves from this misconduct. Fireworks do not belong in the stadium.”
Ajax fans were reportedly mourning a fellow supporter who died in November. But the club was having none of it..
“Ajax finds it downright scandalous what happened in the stadium tonight,” it wrote on X.
Source: X
The club said supporters seated in that part of the stadium had been searched before they were allowed to enter.
“Dogs were also deployed to detect fireworks, both in the stadium before it opened and at the entry of the spectators,” it said.
“In addition, other preventive measures were taken. Despite this, we were unable to prevent this situation.”
It is studying camera footage to try to identify those who let off the fireworks – and has promised “appropriate measures”. Fans who are found to have set off fireworks can expect a fine of €450 ($A796) and to be banned from the stadium for anything up to five years.
The Royal Dutch Football Association (KNVB) said it “fully understands” the “disappointment” of the “vast majority of well-meaning Ajax supporters and the travelling FC Groningen supporters”.
“Those who do this are not there for the match or the football. It is sad for those who do support their club, the true supporters,” they said, according to the BBC.
The league has promised a “disciplinary investigation” into the “unacceptable events” at Sunday’s match.
The match will resume on Tuesday – behind closed doors.
It is not the first time a match between the two clubs has been cancelled.
In May 2023, their game was abandoned after just nine minutes because some fans threw fireworks on to the pitch twice.
In September of that year, Ajax’s match against Feyenoord-De Klassieker was also abandoned when fireworks were thrown on the pitch. It was later played behind closed doors.
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








