Tony Popovic signs two-year deal to coach Socceroos


Tony Popovic said he was ready for – and excited by – the challenge of taking on the Socceroos coaching job. Photo: Getty
Tony Popovic has put pen to paper on a two-year deal to become Socceroos manager with immediate effect.
The 51-year-old was confirmed as Australia’s new head coach until the end of the 2026 World Cup on Monday, three days after Graham Arnold stepped down.
“Coaching the Socceroos is probably a dream come true,”Popovic said.
“You never know if it will pop up or if the timing is right but I am extremely honoured and proud, and I want to thank [Football Australia] for having the trust in me, in my abilities to take on such a role.”
Popovic, who has 58 caps for the Socceroos as a centre back, firmed as Arnold’s likely replacement over the weekend.
He arrived back in Australia late on Sunday from Croatia, where he has been living since leaving Melbourne Victory this year.
He will be thrust straight into the cauldron of World Cup qualification, having to resurrect the Socceroos’ campaign after two luckless results in Arnold’s last two games – and little build-up before his own debut as manager.
“I understand the responsibility that is required and also the fans and the players, which ultimately are the ones that will get us to where we want to be,” he said.
“I look forward to the challenge, I’m excited by it. The Socceroos are in a good position. We’ve some great success recently at the World Cup.
“This campaign hasn’t started the best but I know there is enough time, there are enough games. We should really be aiming for that top spot to go through automatically.”
The former Western Sydney and Perth Glory boss will be in the dugout against China in Adelaide on October 10, before a trip to take on Japan on October 15.
Australia is winless through its first two games of the third stage of qualifiers.
FA chief executive James Johnson said last week, as Arnold walked away, that the governing body would act fast to find a replacement coast.
“We have moved swiftly to secure the best possible candidate for this crucial role,” he said on Monday.
“Our prompt action reflects our commitment to maintaining the momentum and success of the Socceroos program, especially as we are at the beginning of the critical third round of AFC Asian Qualifiers.”
Popovic will have to nominate a long list of players in the next week for those two fixtures. It remains unclear how many of Arnold’s staff intend to stick around under their new manager.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








