Man jailed for unprovoked attacks on strangers

Police in Moonee Ponds after one of the random attacks on strangers in 2023. Photo: Nine Network
A man who attacked several strangers in unprovoked incidents in broad daylight will remain behind bars for at least five years.
Daniel Clavell failed to appear before the Victorian County Court on Wednesday, where he was sentenced to 11 years in prison for random attacks including on four strangers on a busy shopping strip in Melbourne’s north-west in 2023.
Judge Sandra Davis described Clavell’s conduct as extremely serious, noting the victims were left traumatised, some with lifelong scars from the random attacks.
Clavell pleaded guilty to charges of affray, intentionally causing injury and making threats to kill, and had waived his right to be present at his previous court proceedings.
Despite Clavell’s admissions, Davis said he appeared to have little or no remorse for his actions.
Clavell was on bail when he committed the first offence in what was described as a six-week period of offending involving 13 victims.
He was walking at Moonee Ponds train station June 17, 2023, when he struck a stranger in the face, making him jolt backwards. The victim fled to a nearby home, before Clavell ran away.
About 10am on June 28, the following week, Clavell was walking in Brunswick when he punched another man twice, leaving the victim with a fractured nose.
On June 29, Clavell had crossed paths with a man and woman on a ramp at Broadmeadows train station. He twice punched the woman in the face, before producing a knife, causing the pair to retreat.
He also stabbed a woman nearby after putting his hand around her throat.
Clavell was arrested later that day and was released with intent to summons.
There were also two more incidents of assaults on strangers in Dallas and Coburg, in Melbourne’s north, between July 26 and July 29.
On August 2, Clavell went on a stabbing spree after he was caught shoplifting by the owner of Amazing Bargains on Puckle Street in Moonee Ponds about 12.50pm.
After being confronted, he produced a sharp object and stabbed the owner on the left side of her neck, knocking her to the ground.
Clavell threatened a bystander who tried to photograph him as he fled, saying “I will f—ing kill you”.
He then stabbed another man in a nearby shop before assaulting two others on his way to the train station, about 200 metres away.
The court was told that Clavell had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and had a history of substance abuse relating to steroids.
Davis acknowledged Clavell’s troubled upbringing, which involved domestic violence and the loss of his father, who had been heavily involved in criminal activities during his youth.
His father Rodney Clavell killed himself inside an Adelaide brothel in 2014 during a 12-hour standoff with police.
On Wednesday, Davis said the victims had suffered emotional, physical, financial and social impacts from the offending.
Clavell will be eligible for parole in six years and has already served more than two years into his sentence.
Lifeline 131 114
beyondblue 1300 224 636
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








