Advertisement

Govt to pay $125m to settle Covid class action

The Victorian government has settled for $125 million in a class action brought by businesses over Covid lockdowns.

The Victorian government has settled for $125 million in a class action brought by businesses over Covid lockdowns.

Businesses impacted by Victoria’s long Covid-19 lockdowns will receive $125 million from taxpayers under a settlement agreed by the state government.

It follows a class action being brought in the Supreme Court on behalf of businesses affected  financially by the 2020 lockdowns in Victoria.

Retail businesses, including lead plaintiff 5 Boroughs NY Pty Ltd, argued the state government should pay them for economic loss resulting from the lockdown because customers were prevented from attending their physical businesses, due to restrictions between July and October.

The matter had been listed for trial on March 10. However, it was adjourned for a directions hearing at the Melbourne Supreme Court on Monday.

Barrister Adam Hochroth SC, representing the class action, said the trial had been vacated as he was “pleased” to inform the court the parties had reached a settlement.

“The terms of the settlement deeds are confidential at this stage, but … the amount of the settlement is $125 million, inclusive of everything, costs, interest,” he told the court on Monday.

The settlement must be formally approved by the court before the money can be distributed.

The Victorian government confirmed the settlement, outside of court on Monday, saying it continues to stand by “the steps it took during the pandemic to keep Victorians safe”.

“The state has reached an agreement to resolve the matter,” a spokesperson said.

“The $125 million settlement, agreed to between the parties, will avoid further protracted legal proceedings.”

The class action’s law firm, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, said the settlement concluded “years of hard-fought litigation” by impacted businesses.

“This is a significant outcome for eligible businesses. July to October 2020 was an extraordinarily difficult period for Victorian retail businesses,” partner Damian Scattini said.

“The $125 million settlement that we have achieved on their behalf is recognition of this hardship and I hope it provides some measure of relief for eligible businesses.”

The settlement approval application was adjourned to a date to be fixed.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.