Allegations against endo doctor referred to police
Source: Jacinta Allan
Complaints issued against a gynaecologist accused of performing unnecessary surgery on women have been referred to police and the state’s healthcare watchdog.
Dozens of women have spoken to media outlets, breaking their silence about the allegations levelled against renowned doctor Simon Gordon, who worked at hospitals across Melbourne.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan said on Tuesday that any victims of unnecessary procedures deserved justice, adding that the serious allegations had been referred to police for investigation.
“I am sickened by the serious allegations about surgical misconduct at a Melbourne private hospital,” she said.
“Without commenting on the specific case, let me be clear: Performing unnecessary surgery is a crime, removing a woman’s organs without a clinical need is a crime, and assisting in that conduct is a crime.”
Gordon retired from the Epworth in 2025 and surrendered his medical registration last month. He denies the allegations.
“I’ve been privileged to work as a gynaecologist since 1997, in both public and private hospitals in Victoria. This has allowed me not only to meet so many patients, but many of their families and friends,” Gordon said via his Endo Health website.
“No time is a great time to retire from practice, as there will always be patients awaiting consultations and surgery where required. But it’s also time for me to spend time with my family, as roles like mine don’t always allow for that.”
Margalit Injury Lawyers is one of the firms considering filing a class action about Gordon’s surgeries.
Further allegations aired on ABC’s Four Corners claimed some women had surgery for severe endometriosis that was not supported by their pathology results.
Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas took aim at the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency over its handling of the allegations.
Complaints against Gordon should be made straight to the agency, she said.
“What is clear to me is through this investigation is that AHPRA has been too slow to act and that they have not take the complaints of women seriously,” Thomas said.
“Quite frankly, this is the challenge that we are addressing here in Victoria.”
Allan, who herself has been diagnosed with endometriosis, said women should have unnecessary surgical procedures.
She confirmed that Safer Care Victoria will sit on an independent review panel launched by Epworth following the allegations.
The healthcare watchdog will also standardise guidelines for diagnosing endometriosis, recommending a less invasive ultrasound as the first line of assessment.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








