‘Devastated’ racing family reveals horrific fire losses

Source: Lindsay Park
A prominent racing family has revealed that seven horses died as a bushfire raged across their central Victorian property
Lindsay Park – the Hayes family’s vast property outside Euroa, about 160 kilometres north of Melbourne – was destroyed in the fires.
On Sunday, the horse-training brothers, Will, JD and Ben Hayes, revealed the losses had gone beyond buildings.
“Now that all horses on the property have been accounted for and assessed, Lindsay Park can confirm that seven horses have tragically been lost from injuries sustained in the fire,” they said.
“One additional horse remains in a critical condition and is receiving intensive veterinary care.”
The dead animals included five active racehorses and two that had been retired.
The brothers said about 320 horses were successfully evacuated as the Longwood fire razed their property.
“Every possible measure was taken to protect all the horses and the property under extremely difficult and rapidly changing conditions,” they said.
“The priority throughout the event remained the safety of people and horses.
“We extend our sincere sympathies to the owners who have suffered losses, and our thoughts are with the broader community and all those affected by the fires.
“The Lindsay Park team, who work tirelessly to care for these horses every day are devastated by the events, and we will be ensuring they are supported.”
The brothers did not name the dead horses.
Their best current horse is Mr Brightside, a multiple Group 1 winner of more than $18 million in prize money. The brothers also have War Machine and other champions.
Their father, Hong Kong-based trainer David Hayes, made an emergency dash to help fight the fire.
“We lost probably 90 per cent of our land,” he radio SEN. “Ben’s house and a barn but the majority of the infrastructure was inside the protected zone, which was the irrigated paddocks.
“It protected the main house and the main buildings and stables. The tracks didn’t burn and they acted as fire breaks.
“I must say, jumping on the plane, I was shattered. We hadn’t slept for 2½ days fighting spot fires. The place had to be evacuated of staff and horses but it got very difficult. All the roads got closed. We were there on our own.
“Fires are horrific but when 90km/h winds come in at 45 degrees, it’s like a hurricane without rain and you don’t want to be in them. It was horrible.
“At times [I thought we would lose it all]. A few spot fires got into the protected area. In the end, the embers ignite somewhere else and somewhere else and you have to buckle down.”
The Longwood fire was one of 12 continuing to rage across Victoria on Monday afternoon after summer heatwaves spurred out-of-control blazes that destroyed homes, killed livestock and led to at least one death.
More than 350 structures including about 100 homes have been lost and up to 1000 agricultural properties impacted.
The threat has eased from the Longwood fire, with cooler temperatures and lighter winds aiding efforts to bring it under control.
Source: Little Yarra CFA
Bushfire property losses rise as rescue payments land
Uninsured residents who have lost their homes in the devastating bushfires will get a leg up to rebuild as an appeal is launched for donations.
Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan on Monday visited Natimuk, where about 30 homes have been destroyed, to announce emergency assistance payments of up to $52,250 for uninsured households to re-establish their principal place of residence.
A Victorian bushfire appeal will also open online from Tuesday for public donations.
“Every dollar will go to where it is needed,” Allan said.
Two emergency warnings remain for blazes near Walwa, in Victoria’s north-east, and near the Otways, in the south-west.
“Whilst the conditions are easing in some parts of the state, even the slightest of winds are still causing those fires to move around,” Emergency Management Commissioner Tim Wiebusch said.
Authorities expect gusty north-west winds and hot weather to return towards the end of the week.
Country Fire Authority chief officer Jason Heffernan warned against complacency, with another “heating event” expected towards the end of January.
“Much work will be done between now and then to contain these fires,” he said
Allan earlier posted a video of herself returning to her home near Bendigo on Sunday after she was forced to flee the Harcourt fire.
Source: Jacinta Allan
Smoke was still visible in the distance but her home remained standing.
The smoke haze from Victoria’s fires spread to inland NSW and parts of New Zealand.
Weather bureau senior meteorologist Dean Narramore said the haze could linger across much of Victoria for days in low winds.
Meanwhile, people have been urged not to be “tourists” in fire areas after some were seen taking photos and driving around traffic management points.
Overnight, the Northern Territory government sent a strike team of 22 firefighters, an incident management team of 11 and a liaison officer to assist in the Victorian effort.
Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro said the NT would send every available resource to assist Victoria in its moment of need.
Police confirmed on Sunday that human remains had been found near a fire-affected road at Gobur, a remote area east of Seymour.
The body of a man was discovered 100 metres from a car.
The fire-affected patch was scorched when the roaring Longwood fire moved through on Friday.
Later on Monday, The Age reported the dead man was local cattle farmer Max Hobson. It said Hobson had decided to stay and defend his property.
His wife evacuated to nearby Alexandra and is safe.
Across the area, paddocks were littered with the remains of animals and livestock that did not make it to safety.
Ruffy Country Fire Authority captain George Noye said half of the small town’s residents had lost either their homes or a structure.
The local primary school is also unrecognisable after being burned to the ground.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








