Police shift focus in search for fugitive Dezi Freeman

Source: Victoria Police
Victoria Police say they have spent five days scouring thick bush and heavy terrain in their latest search for Dezi Freeman, the fugitive who allegedly shot and killed two policemen.
The targeted search in Mount Buffalo National Park involved detectives from the Taskforce Summit, as well as other teams including search and rescue, a drone unit, the dog squad and NSW Police force cadaver dogs.
While the same area was searched in September, on that occasion search teams were looking for an “active armed offender”, Victoria Police said in a statement on Friday.
This time they were focussed on “identifying and locating evidence or the body of Freeman”.
However, despite the extensive search – which included line searches and clearing caves over an area of just under one square kilometre – no trace was found of the 56-year-old fugitive.

Police dogs were involved in the latest search for Dezi Freeman. Photo: Victoria Police
Freeman has been on the run since August 26 after a deadly confrontation at his property in Porepunkah, about 300 kilometres north-east of Melbourne.
Police officers Vadim De Waart, 35, and Neal Thompson, 59, were killed and a colleague badly injured as they served a search warrant at Freeman’s home.
“The devastating loss of Neal and Vadim has struck at the heart of Victoria Police and had an enormous impact on the Porepunkah community,” Assistant Commissioner Martin O’Brien said on Friday.

Vadim De Waart and Neal Thompson were fatally shot while serving a warrant. Photos: Victoria Police
Freeman fled into the bush after the fatal confrontation. Since then, hundreds of Victoria Police officers have been involved in searches for him in Porepunkah and surrounding areas, with specialist support from across Victoria, Australia and New Zealand.
A $1 million reward and the possibility of indemnity has been offered for information leading to his capture. Detectives have investigated more than 1950 pieces of intelligence, including information received from the public.
O’Brien said Victoria Police remained committed to doing everything they could – “using every available resource and the necessary capabilities” – to locate Freeman.
“We will continue to conduct targeted searches such as this one based on intelligence,” he said.
“We will maintain a presence in the community, and we are determined we will see this to resolution.”
Freeman, who has identifies as a sovereign citizen, had a history of previous run-ins with police before the August incident.
Police have urged anyone with any information on his location, or who notices anything at the Mount Buffalo National Park, to contact CrimeStoppers Victoria (1800 333 000).
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








