Advertisement

New photos in manhunt for killer Dezi Freeman

Source: AAP

New photos reveal the difficulties facing searchers in the prolonged hunt for wanted fugitive Dezi Freeman in remote north-east Victorian bushland.

A further 100 officers have been deployed to Mount Buffalo National Park to conduct further sweeps of the area, with the park closed to the public.

Victoria Police released pictures on Thursday showing dedicated search teams in high-visibility clothing picking through thick scrub and tall forests.

The searchers are seen scouring the steep slopes of the national park, nearly six weeks after Freeman’s disappearance.

The images highlight the physically tiring work facing those involved in the manhunt and the enormous task of combing every inch for clues.

More than 40 square kilometres of land have been searched on foot and by air.

Freeman has been on the run since August 26 when he allegedly shot dead two police officers — Neal Thompson and Vadim de Waart-Hottart — who were serving a warrant at his home in Porepunkah.

There has been no sign of Freeman since the shooting, despite hundreds of police scouring the area.

This week, attention turned to a new area about 100 kilometres away from his last known location.

Officers are scouring thick and sloping bushland in remote Victoria. Photo: Victoria Police

On Wednesday, police searched a rural property in Goomalibee, near Benalla, and a man was intercepted at Undera, near Shepparton, as part of the probe.

However, police have confirmed the unidentified man was not involved.

“He has been cleared of any link to our current investigation,” Victoria Police said on Thursday.

Freeman, 56, was last seen fleeing into bushland in the mountainous region shortly after the shooting.

About 400 officers including specialist teams from interstate and abroad were out looking for him at the height of the operation but that number has since been scaled back to about 200.

Police previously flagged the possibility a member of the public knows Freeman’s whereabouts.

Anyone who sees him is urged not to approach him as he is considered armed and dangerous.

A $1 million reward and the possibility of indemnity for information leading to his capture is on offer, with some 1400 pieces of information provided to investigators since the killings.

“We will not give up until we find that person,” Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said on Monday.

“This has really damaged our police service and the community and we are determined to bring this matter to a conclusion.”

dezi freeman search

The search team in bushland at Mount Buffalo National Park. Photo: Victoria Police

Freeman’s wife, Mali, and a 15-year-old boy were previously arrested and released without charge.

Thousands of mourners in August paid their respects to both officers at funerals at the Victoria Police Academy in Melbourne’s east. Each man was buried with full police honours.

They were immortalised at memorials earlier this week to mark National Police Remembrance Day, during which their families and colleagues placed floral wreaths in their honour.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.