Advertisement

Alleged Bondi Beach killers likely ‘acted alone’

Sajid and Naveed Akram apparently training in the NSW countryside.

Sajid and Naveed Akram apparently training in the NSW countryside. Photos: NSW Local Court

There is no evidence the two men who allegedly launched the terrorist attack on Jewish Australians at Bondi Beach were trained in the Philippines.

Australian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett revealed the assessment on Tuesday, citing an initial finding by the Philippine National Police.

The father and son are known to have arrived in the capital Manila from Australia on November 1 before travelling on to Davao City.

They arrived back in Sydney on November 29, two weeks before the shooting attack at a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Bondi that left 15 people dead and 41 injured.

One of the accused gunmen, 50-year-old Sajid Akram was killed in a shootout with police. His son, 24-year-old Naveed Akram, faces 59 charges arising from the deadly December 14 shooting in Sydney.

“The initial assessment … is that the individuals rarely left their hotel, and there is no evidence to suggest they received training or underwent logistical preparation for their alleged attack,” Barrett said.

“CCTV footage capturing their stay in the Philippines has been provided to the AFP, and we are currently reviewing that material.

“What this points to, and I will again advise this is a point-in-time assessment, is that these individuals are alleged to have acted alone.”

Source: Anthony Albanese

Barrett was giving an update on Operation Arques, the ongoing counter-terrorism investigation into the December 14 attack by NSW Police, Australian Federal Police, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation and NSW Crime Commission.

“There is no evidence to suggest these alleged offenders were part of a broader terrorist cell, or were directed by others to carry out an attack,” she said.

“However, I want to be clear, I am not suggesting that they were there for tourism.”

The Philippines has in the past been a venue for potential terrorist cells planning attacks in other countries.

Australian authorities have previously alleged the accused father and son shooters were inspired by Islamic State, or ISIS.

Barrett also said the AFP continued to investigate “those who corrupt Islam in their radical recruitment drive for hatred and fear”.

“We have gone through the sermons line by line, sought out experts and legal advice on charging those who we believe are inciting hatred towards the Jewish community,” she said.

“I remain concerned about vulnerable adults and youth who are susceptible or open to manipulation by religious and other extremists who encourage violence or desensitise violence.”

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, who on Tuesday completed his 12th national security committee meeting in Canberra since the attack, said the government would legislate a crackdown on preachers and leaders who promote violence.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.