PM rushes to set terms for Bondi Beach review

Source: Sky News Australia
Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has again swept aside calls for a national royal commission into the Bondi Beach terrorist attack, in favour of a quicker review process.
The review, which will finalise its report by the end of April, will be led by retired intelligence head and former diplomat Dennis Richardson.
“The Richardson review will be able to look at any issues related to the events on December 14, the atrocity that was committed,” Albanese said in Canberra on Monday.
“This is the most experienced person who can have a look quickly, sharply, go through with the experience that he has to determine any further actions that are required by the Commonwealth government.
“He will talk as well, with not just NSW but other state agencies if required.”
Jewish community groups have pushed Albanese to set up a national royal commission to examine the events leading up to the antisemitic attack on December 14.
On Monday, 17 affected families wrote to Albanese to demand a royal commission into the deadly shootings that killed 15 people after a father-son duo inspired by Islamic State, or ISIS, targeted a Jewish Hanukkah celebration at Bondi Beach.
“Prime Minister, how can you not support a royal commission into the deadliest terrorist attack on Australian soil? royal commissions have been established for banks and for aged care,” they wrote.
“We demand answers and solutions. We need to know why clear warning signs were ignored, how antisemitic hatred and Islamic extremism were allowed to dangerously grow unchecked, and what changes must be made to protect all Australians going forward.
“Announcements made so far by the federal government in response to the Bondi massacre are not nearly enough.”

Families of those injured and killed at Bondi have written to the Prime Minister. Image: AAP
Opposition Leader Sussan Ley accused Albanese of insulting those affected by the massacre, as well as the wider Australian population.
“Instead of listening to those most affected, the Prime Minister has decided to speak over them. Instead of the truth, he is hiding behind the process,” she said.
“By speaking over victims and their families and declaring that his pathway forward is the right one, the Prime Minister has actually insulted those who have endured the unimaginable. It is not protective, it is patronising.”
Richardson will assess whether the relevant Commonwealth law enforcement and intelligence agencies, in the context of the Bondi shootings, performed to maximum effectiveness.
He will examine whether they have adequate powers, the right systems, processes and procedures, and determine whether information sharing with other federal, state and territory agencies is working.
He will also consider the circumstances in which the alleged offenders were assessed by the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation and the Australian Federal Police and consider any necessary changes.
Nine people remain in hospital, including three who are in a critical but stable condition.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








