Woman dead, man critically injured in NSW shark attack


A woman in her 20s has died after a shark attack at Crowdy Bay, on the NSW mid-north coast. Photo: Flickr
A woman has died following a shark attack on the NSW mid-north coast, with a “heroic” passerby helping save her critically injured companion.
NSW Police said emergency services were called to Kylies Beach at Crowdy Bay about 6.30am on Thursday, following reports two people had been bitten by a shark.
Other people on the beach provided first aid until paramedics arrived, but a woman in her 20s died at the scene. She is yet to be formally identified.
A man – also believed to be aged in his 20s – sustained serious injuries. He was flown to the John Hunter Hospital in Newcastle in a critical condition.
NSW Ambulance Superintendent Josh Smyth said a person on the beach likely saved the man’s life by putting a makeshift tourniquet on his leg.
“The courage from some bystanders is amazing,” he said.
“And in this situation, to put yourself out there is very heroic, and obviously, did give us time to get to that male patient.”
The Sydney Morning Herald reported the pair were believed to be Swiss tourists staying at the nearby campground who had gone for an early-morning swim.
Crowdy Bay is a popular beach and camping area in Crowdy Bay National Park, situated between Laurieton and Harrington.
NSW Surf Life Saving CEO Steve Pearce described the shark attack as “horrific”, saying it occurred in a remote part of the national park with no life-guarding services.
Pearce told the ABC sharks had been spotted in the area previously.
“There has been sightings and interactions with sharks over the years at [Kylies Beach],” he said.
“It’s an isolated location, but it’s a highly visited spot due to its popularity.”
The beach has been closed and local police will liaise with experts from NSW Department of Primary Industries to determine the species of shark involved.
It is the second fatal shark attack in NSW in two months

Mercury Psillakis was killed by a shark at Sydney’s Long Reef Beach.
He had been warning other surfers about the shark before he was mauled to death.
It prompted the state government to scrap a trial removal of shark nets at three NSW beaches, with Premier Chris Minns suggesting it would be “silly” to do so in light of the attack.
Researchers and animal advocates have long argued the nets offer minimal protection and predominantly injure other sea life.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








