P-plater bailed after ‘singular error’ kills woman, unborn child

Samanvidha Dhareshwar was eight months pregnant when she was struck and killed while walking in north Sydney. Photos: AAP/Facebook
A childcare worker whose “singular error” allegedly caused a horrific crash, killing a pregnant woman and her unborn child, has been granted release on bail.
Samanvidha Dhareshwar, 33, was walking with her husband and a child in northern Sydney last Friday night when she was struck by a station wagon.
The crash in Hornsby was allegedly caused after the station wagon was itself struck by a luxury sedan driven by a 19-year-old P-plater.
Dhareshwar was taken to hospital but she and her unborn baby, who was due in December, could not be saved
On Friday, Aaron Papazoglu made a second bid for bail at Downing Centre Local Court after his first application was rejected last Sunday.
The first bailing hearing had been told university student, who has no previous criminal or driving offences, is accused of speeding up through an intersection when the traffic light changed to yellow.
On Friday, defence barrister Allan Goldsworthy for Papazoglu to be released from custody, saying there was nothing to show he had any criminal proclivity.
“This case boils down to a singular error on a roadway … albeit with tragic consequences,” he said.
Papazoglu has been charged with dangerous driving and negligent driving, both occasioning death, as well as causing the death of a fetus through the death of a pregnant woman.
A fourth charge – failing to stop at a red light – was added before Friday’s hearing.
Goldsworthy said Papazoglu was demonstrably of good character and had been self-funding tens of thousands of dollars for his university degree by working at a childcare centre.
His family, including his single mum, were willing to put up their entire savings of $50,000 as surety to ensure Papazoglu attended court, he said.
Family members nodded along, looking concerned in court as the hearing continued.
The police prosecutor said it was up to the court to decide whether bail conditions could mitigate any risk the 19-year-old would pose to the community.
Magistrate Scott Nash ordered Papazoglu be released, finding that sufficient conditions could be put in place.
He has been ordered to live at an apartment in Wahroonga and to report to police once weekly.
He is not to contact any Crown witnesses and is barred from being in the driver’s seat of any vehicle.
Papazoglu will not be required in court when his matter is next heard on January 13.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








