Beloved ABC host dies after cancer battle

Source: ABC Sydney
Radio and music personality James Valentine, who had a four-decade media career, has died after a battle with cancer.
The ABC, where Valentine had presented TV and radio since the mid-1980s, announced the 64-year-old’s death on Thursday morning.
Valentine was best known for presenting the Afternoons show on ABC Radio Sydney for more than 20 years. He also had stints on Breakfast in 2022 and 2023.
He is survived by his wife Joanne and his two children Ruby and Roy after he chose to end his life using voluntary-assisted dying, his family said.
“James passed peacefully at home surrounded by his family, who adored him,” Valentine’s family said.
“Throughout his illness, James did it his way, which lasted all the way until the end when he made the choice to do voluntary-assisted dying.”
Valentine was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in March 2024 and went on leave before returning to the airwaves last year.
However, after later scans revealed further tumours, he made a final retirement from his extensive career in February.
“I can’t think of anybody else who really lifted the mood of a city over such a long time,” fellow presenter Richard Glover said when Valentine announced his retirement.
Outside of the studio, Valentine was a celebrated saxophonist who toured with The Models and recorded with well-known acts such as Kate Ceberano and Wendy Matthews.

Valentine (left) with fellow members of The Models in 2010. Photo: AAP
His media career began in the mid-1980s, hosting cartoons on ABC TV’s The Afternoon Show. He went on to work across other ABC television programs before moving into radio at 666 ABC Radio Canberra and then Sydney.
“He has been a trusted companion for so many people, part of the rhythm of everyday life for generations of our Sydney audience,” ABC managing director Hugh Marks said.
“James brought warmth, wit, and humanity to radio as an exemplar of radio craft.”
Outside the ABC, Valentine was the movie reviewer for many years on Showtime, a reporter and commentator on programs such as Sunrise, It Takes Two, Midday, Good Morning Australia and TVTV. He also narrated the Lifestyle Channel’s Come Dine With Me Australia and was a regular columnist for several publications.
Fellow “music nerd” Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said there would be joy among the sadness at the news.
“He had that sense of adventure and was always really positive as well and that shone through,” he said on ABC Radio.
Governor-General Sam Mostyn said it was a tragic day and she would miss not being able to pick up the phone and chat with her close friend.
“He was sharing his death with us to help us understand our mortality and how we live life better,” Mostyn told ABC Radio.
“He was always the funniest fellow and the smartest and the cleverest with music.”
The ABC said memorial arrangements and opportunities to honour Valentine will be shared soon.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








