Australian man who grabbed Grande ‘barred’ from Singapore

Source: PopBase
The Australian man who leapt over a barricade and grabbed Wicked star Ariana Grande in an alarming incident has been deported and banned from Singapore.
Johnson Wen, 26, was sentenced to nine days’ jail for being a public nuisance and had been “barred from re-entering Singapore”, the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority told local media at the weekend.
Wen leapt security barriers and grabbed Grande as she and co-star Cynthia Erivo were walking arm-in-arm along a yellow carpet at Singapore’s premiere screening of Wicked: For Good 10 days ago.
Video footage from the incident shows Erivo leaping to Grande’s defence and trying to pull Wen away as he puts his arm around the visibly shaken star. Security staff were hot on his heels quickly removed him.
Wen is a serial pest and attention seeker who uses the handle Pyjama Man. He shared a video of the incident on his own social media accounts with the caption: “Dear Ariana Grande Thank You for letting me Jump on the Yellow Carpet with You.”
“I feel like I’m in a dream,” he wrote before the premiere.
“That’s my best friend Ariana Grande and I’m going to meet her. I’ve been dreaming about that
Wen has also previously shared footage from other pranks, including jumping on the stage at a Katy Perry concert and running up to Indian cricketer Virat Kohli at the 2023 World Cup Final.
The incident sparked outrage in Singapore, with fans accusing Wen of re-traumatising Grande. She has spoken of her post-traumatic stress disorder after a suicide bomb attack at her concert in Manchester in May 2017 killed 22 people and injured hundreds.
The BBC reported that the court in Singapore was told Wen had tried to intrude on the film’s premiere twice.
He reportedly made a second attempt to jump the barricades. Security staff stopped him and pinned him down.
He was arrested the next day and charged with public nuisance, to which he pleaded guilty.
Universal Pictures’ two-part Wicked gamble, meanwhile, continues to defy gravity at the box office.
Just a year after part one brought droves of audiences to movie theatres around the country, even more people bought opening weekend tickets to see the epic conclusion, Wicked: For Good.
According to studio estimates on Sunday, Wicked: For Good earned $US150 million ($A233 million) from North American theatres in its first days in theatres and $US226 million ($A350 million) globally.
Not only is a record opening for a Broadway musical adaptation, unseating the record set by the first film’s $US112 million ($A174 million) launch, it’s also the second biggest debut of the year behind A Minecraft Movie‘s $US162 million ($A251 million).
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








