Advertisement

‘Too sick to move’: Tourist dies, others in ICU after horror Bali hostel poisoning

Police are investigating the death of a traveller at a budget Bali hostel in September.

Police are investigating the death of a traveller at a budget Bali hostel in September. Photo: Facebook

Balinese police have reportedly begun investigating after the death of a young tourist in a suspected mass poisoning in a budget hostel in Canggu.

The medical emergency, which reportedly left up to 10 other young travellers in hospital, has sparked global concern.

It followed fumigation at the $14-a-night Clandestino Hostel after reports some of its dorm rooms had been infested with bed bugs.

The hostel, just a kilometre from the beach on Bali’s south-west coast, describes itself as “Canggu’s newest party hostel”. Its website promises “nightly parties and free family dinner every night to meet other solo travellers”.

But, according to multiple reports, 25-year-old Chinese guest Deqing Zhuoga and many others fell ill within hours of a communal dinner on September 1. They described symptoms such as vomiting, diarrhoea, fever, and even bloody vomit.

Badung Police First Inspector Azarul Ahmad told Perth Now that hostel security staff took Zhuoga in a taxi to a medical centre.

“The doctor provided initial treatment but due to a lack of funds [doctors] only prescribed medication,” he said.

“They bought the medicine from a nearby pharmacy and returned with her to the hostel.”

The young woman was found unresponsive hours later. Her death was discovered only after staff realised she had not checked out.

“The manager checked for a pulse, but there was no breathing,” Ahmad said.

Local authorities confirmed Zhuoga died early on September 2. Her official cause of death was listed as acute gastroenteritis and hypovolaemic shock.

But the origin of the illness remains unclear, as other hostel guests question the diagnosis.

clandestino hostel canggu

About a dozen travellers fell ill, and one died, after a communal dinner at the hostel. Photo: Facebook

Zhuoga’s roommate Leila Li, also fell ill and was taken for medical treatment. She eventually spent five days in intensive care.

“My attending doctor has confirmed it was pesticide poisoning and food poisoning,” Li said.

Another traveller reportedly suffered septic shock and also required care in ICU. Others were rushed to several local hospitals.

Li said the chaotic incident unfolded quickly and Zhuoga had been “too sick to move or call for help, lying in her bunk vomiting for hours while other guests scrambled for assistance”.

On Wednesday, as reports of the alarming incident began to spread beyond Chinese media, a Clandestino spokesperson  said police were investigating.

“This has been an extremely difficult and delicate situation for everyone involved,” they told Perth Now.

“The case is still under investigation by local authorities, which means we are not able to share specific details yet.

“We have been fully cooperative from the very beginning, and we hope that everything can be clarified and resolved as soon as possible.

“We are doing everything we can to support the process.”

Several other guests – including travellers from Germany, Saudi Arabia, the Philippines and China – were later named in police reports as victims of the same sudden illness. No Australians appear to have been affected.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.