Wildcards thrill home crowd to make Open doubles final
Source: Tennis Australia
Like winning a lottery, Jason Kubler has secured a life-changing family pay day after powering into the Australian Open men’s doubles final with Marc Polmans.
Kubler’s magical run follows his Western Australian fiancee Maddison Inglis’s unexpected charge from qualifying to the last 16 of the women’s singles.
Kubler and Polmans thrilled the home crowd on Rod Laver Arena on Thursday, with a rousing 6-2 3-6 6-3 semi-final win over the Polish-British pair of Jan Zielinski and Luke Johnson.
Incredibly, after taking out fan favourites and 2022 champions Nick Kyrgios and Thanasi Kokkinakis in the first round, Kubler is a win away from claiming a second Open doubles crown in three years as a wildcard.
In 2023, Kubler – a former world No.1 junior – teamed with fellow Australian Rinky Hijikata to claim the title at Melbourne Park as wildcards.
“It’s unbelievable,” Kubler said.
“This is the first time we’ve played together, which is crazy to think about.
“We’re gelling so well together. So hopefully this isn’t the last time we play together. I think we’re doing all right.
“But with the wildcards, my ranking in doubles is close to 1500, so I’m definitely not getting in [on rankings], even with Alcaraz.
“Luckily Tennis Australia gave us the opportunity.”
While 32-year-old Kubler – who also made the Open mixed decider with Jaimee Fourlis in 2022 – has been there, done that, Polmans is through to his maiden grand slam final.
“This is the best feeling in the world,” the 28-year-old said.
“I’m just soaking it up playing with Jason. My friends and family are here, so it’s extra special for me.”
Inglis’s reward for being Australia’s last woman standing and also contesting the women’s and mixed doubles events will be a monster cheque for $505,925.
Kubler is guaranteed to take home at least $396,425 for also qualifying, playing the mixed with Inglis and now the men’s double title match.
That means Australian tennis’s new golden couple will walk away from Melbourne with a minimum $902,350 – or $1.27 million if Kubler and Polmans win Sunday’s final.
With so much at stake, Inglis was barely able to watch from the stands.
At one point, she buried her head into another supporter’s lap.
“I didn’t see her that much doing all that, but then I saw the post of all the different facial reactions, so that’s pretty funny,” Kubler said.
“But I knew Maddy is like that. We could be watching, say, tonight we’re watching the women semi-finals, and she’ll be like that in the lounge room.
“She loves watching tennis and always rides the matches regardless. I assume because I’m playing, she’s probably a little bit more emotional.”
The home hopes will play sixth seeds Neal Skupski of Britain and American Christian Harrison for the trophy.
Source: The Tennis Letter
Sabalenka lives the ‘dream’
Aryna Sabalenka feels she is living “a dream life” after joining all-time greats Evonne Goolagong Cawley and Martina Hingis by powering into a fourth consecutive Australian Open final.
On a revenge mission after losing last year’s title decider to Madison Keys, Sabalenka demolished Elina Svitolina 6-2 6-3 on Rod Laver Arena on Thursday night to set up a 2023 final rematch with former Wimbledon champion Elena Rybakina.
Continuing her hot run, fifth-seeded Rybakina overcame a scare from American world No.6 Jessica Pegula 6-3 7-6 (9-7) to return to Melbourne Park’s grandest stage.
Big-hitting world No.1 Sabalenka hasn’t dropped a set and appears unstoppable as she chases a third Melbourne Park crown.
Only Goolagong Cawley (1971-1977) and Hingis (1997-2002) have also reached at least four straight finals in the Open era.
“I cannot believe that, honestly, and that’s an incredible achievement – but the job’s not done yet,” the world No.1 said.
Sabalenka, 27, was born during Hingis’s run of six straight finals and teared up when she conceded her 10-year-old self could never have imagined this.
“I think she would be just super-proud that I was able to make it here,” Sabalenka said.
“I would never think that I would be able to, first of all, make it to the top 10.
“Secondly, to be that consistent and be able to play on such big arenas in front of you all and feel all the support.
“Just a dream life and every day I’m grateful for everything I have – and I don’t know, I hope she would be proud of me.”
Proud Ukrainian Svitolina, 31, refused to be in the traditional pre-match photo with Sabalenka, with the pair having separate shots at the net with the ball girl.
Svitolina also doesn’t shake hands with Russian or Belarusian opponents amid the conflict in Ukraine. Again, she didn’t after Thursday’s match, making a swift exit after match point.
The 12th seed had been in red-hot form but she simply could not go with Sabalenka, who clubbed a 29 winners in a dominant performance.
The only time the indomitable world No.1 looked frustrated was when leading at 2-1 when she was called for hindrance for grunting after playing the ball.
After a video review, the call stood and the fiery top seed gave a thumbs down gesture.
But it didn’t stop Sabalenka, who smacked a remarkable 19 winners in a dominant first-set performance – and later said the umpire who gave the call “really p–sed me off”.
After Svitolina saved two set points on serve, Sabalenka sealed the advantage with a scintillating cross-court backhand winner.
Svitolina broke Sabalenka against the run of play in the opening game of the second set and claimed a 2-0 lead as the Belarusian battled unforced errors.
But Sabalenka snapped out of her funk and reeled off the next five games to clinch victory.
Rybakina backed up her quarter-final thrashing of world No.2 Iga Swiatek with a powerful display against Pegula.
“It means a lot,” the 26-year-old said after reaching her third grand slam final.
Rybakina will seek her own redemption against Sabalenka, who came back from a set down to beat the Kazakh in her breakthrough 2023 Open final win.
“She won that match, very deserved. I just want to enjoy … I’m so excited to play,” Rybakina said.
Pegula, whose quest for an elusive maiden slam title continues, hadn’t dropped a set all tournament but, at times, had no answers to Rybakina.
The powerful Russian-born Kazakh – one of few players on tour who could go with Sabalenka for power – smacked 31 winners and dominated off brilliant serving.
—AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








