Advertisement

Hewitt to appeal two-week tennis ban for alleged ‘push’

Australian Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt has been banned from all tennis activity for two weeks.

Australian Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt has been banned from all tennis activity for two weeks. Photo: AAP

Australian Davis Cup captain Lleyton Hewitt is planning to appeal after being hit with a fine and a ban for “offensive conduct” at an overseas tie.

Hewitt has been allowed to lead Australia in this weekend’s second-round qualifying tie against Belgium in Sydney despite allegedly pushing a volunteer doping control official against a wall last year.

The 44-year old grand slam great was handed a two-week suspension and $30,000 fine on Wednesday after being found guilty by an independent tribunal of pushing the 60-year-old anti-doping chaperone in an incident following Australia’s semi-final defeat by Italy in Malaga last year.

The tribunal recommended one-third of the fine ($10,000) should be paid on to the chaperone “in compensation for the stress, discomfort and embarrassment of the incident”.

The official has since said he will never volunteer at a tie again. The International Tennis Integrity Agency said that would “represent a tangible loss to the anti-doping program”.

It had sought a heavier sanction, asking for a four-week suspension and a $US25,000 ($37,500), with the tribunal agreeing “there was no apology or check on the well being of the chaperone” and “a lack of remorse from Mr Hewitt”.

The ITIA also asked for Hewitt’s “poor disciplinary record, including five prior incidents of offensive conduct toward tennis officials and non compliance with tennis rules” to be taken into account, as well as his “obstructive and inappropriate” conduct during the hearing.

Hewitt denied the charge and cited self-defence. But it was upheld by the tribunal, which said his behaviour was “not reasonable and proportionate”.

Hewitt said on Thursday he never gave any consideration to stepping aside for this week’s tie.

“I’m just really disappointed about the overall decision, but also whole process, to be honest. The lack of facts that have been put out,” the former world No.1 said.

“But I’ll be going through the appeal process with my legal team so I won’t be talking about it further.”

The tribunal rejected the ITIA’s primary case that “the push was unprovoked and born out of anger or irritation from the loss against Italy”.

With Australia hosting Belgium this Saturday and Sunday in the second round of qualifiers, tribunal chair Michael Heron said they did not want to be “unduly punitive” on Hewitt by affecting his Davis Cup schedule.

Hewitt’s suspension is due to start in two weeks, lasting from September 24 until October 7. Hewitt won’t be allowed to take part “in all tennis-related activities, including coaching, mentoring, playing, captaincy and other associated roles” during that fortnight.

“Anti-doping personnel play a fundamental role behind the scenes in upholding the integrity of tennis, and they should be able to go about their roles without fear of physical contact,” ITIA CEO Karen Moorhouse said.

“In this case, that line was clearly crossed, and we had no other option but to take action.”

The incident happened when both Hewitt and the anti-doping chaperone were in the same crowded corridor tribunal and had made contact.

The tribunal accepted Hewitt was recovering from a medical condition, which he said had prompted him to push away the official, who he didn’t know was a chaperone, when the contact occurred.

But the tribunal found that the push was “too strong or forceful and was excessive or disproportionate” and that “there were other options available”.

In Hewitt’s defence, it was noted “his distinguished 25-year career is marked by exemplary professionalism and commitment to tennis, and he’s expressed genuine regret for the incident and bears no animosity towards the chaperone.

“At the time he was recovering from a health ailment and ongoing tenderness contributed to his reaction.”

The tribunal, ruling on Hewitt’s previous disciplinary record, said “it did not consider that historic or unrelated blemishes on an otherwise exemplary career should increase the penalty for this isolated incident”.

-AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.