Frydenberg lashes PM over Bondi attack, as Minns details gun crackdown

Source: The Age / Instagram
Josh Frydenberg has launched an extraordinary attack on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese over the Bondi attack, claiming he “allowed Australia to be radicalised”.
The former federal treasurer and Jewish MP, who visited the memorial in Bondi on Wednesday, said governments had failed when it came to fighting anti-Semitism, with the Jewish community left feeling abandoned since the October 7 Hamas attacks.
“Our prime minister, our government, has allowed Australia to be radicalised on his watch,” he said.
“It is time our prime minister accepted accountability for what has happened here and it’s time our leaders stood up and led at last. This is a time for accountability and action.”
Frydenberg described the mass shooting at a Jewish Hanukkah celebration in Bondi – which left 15 innocent victims dead and dozens more injured – as “the greatest stain on this nation”.
Declaring that he was at the memorial to mourn “and also to warn”, he said that unless urgent “strong” action was taken, another terrorist attack was likely.
The Bondi attack has been declared a terrorist incident, with authorities saying early indications are that father-and-son shooters Sajid Akram, 50, and son Naveed Akram, 24, were inspired by Islamic State ideology.
Sajid Akram died during the incident and Naveed has been in hospital since. He has now awoken from a coma, but police are waiting for him to regain full mental fitness before interviewing him.
As Labor figures conceded more must be done to tackle hate against Jews, Treasurer Jim Chalmers said the government was open to Frydenberg’s suggestions.
“I don’t doubt the intensity or the sincerity of his views, and we take them seriously,” Chalmers told reporters in Canberra.
“He, like a lot of Australians, is mourning and is grieving.
“We will take suggestions from him or from other members of the community very seriously.”
Meanwhile, NSW Premier Chris Minns announced on Wednesday afternoon that he would recall parliament from summer break to reduce the number of guns in the community.
More than one million firearms are registered in NSW, including more than 300 to one antique collector.
While the per-person cap on firearms was being determined, Minns said five was too many.
Other changes would reclassify straight pull-up and pump-action shotguns, reduce magazine capacity for shotguns and change appeal rights once police withdraw a firearm licence.
“We will be pushing it through parliament in a short space of time,” Minns said of the legislation which is still being drafted.
“It’s not necessarily the end of the reforms that we’re contemplating.”
Minns said Labor was also contemplating a royal commission into the shooting, and indicated that it would explore possible changes to protest laws.

Distraught loved ones have farewelled Rabbi Eli Schlanger. Photo: AAP
Minns’ announcement came after Rabbi Eli Schlanger was laid to rest in the packed Sydney synagogue in which he worked.
The Chabad Bondi assistant rabbi and father-of-five was remembered for the tremendous lengths he went to help others, including the incarcerated.
“He … would drive three, four hours each way to visit one single prisoner,” his father-in-law Rabbi Yehoram Ulman told tearful mourners.
Ahead of his attendance at the funeral, prominent rabbi Yossi Friedman described Rabbi Schlanger as a dear friend.
“Such an amazing, incredible man – a beacon of light,” Rabbi Friedman said on Instagram.
Five other memorials will take place on Wednesday, including for another rabbi killed in the shooting, Yaakov Levitan, whose service is Macquarie Park in Sydney’s north.
The youngest victim of the attack, 10-year-old Matilda, is expected to be laid to rest on Thursday.
Source: AAP
Earlier on Wednesday, Foreign Minister Penny Wong promised greater action to combat anti-Semitism, indicating the federal government needed to step up efforts.
“We all understand we need to do more,” she told ABC Radio on Wednesday.
“We will dedicate every resource required to making sure Jewish Australians are safe and protected.
“If we are to confront anti-Semitism fully, then government needs to act, so does all of the community.”
Albanese acknowledged it would be difficult to draft laws against the threat posed by extremist terrorists, such as the Islamic State-inspired Bondi shooters who he described as “evil”.
“It is indeed … hard to legislate against such massive hatred and people who have this perversion of Islam that leads them to support Islamic State,” he said in Sydney.
“They are evil. We need to make sure that we do whatever is within our powers.”
Special envoy to combat anti-Semitism Jillian Segal handed down a report on addressing the issue in the community to the government in July, but many of its recommendations are still unaddressed.
Asked whether he would fully endorse the report, Albanese wouldn’t say which parts would now be implemented but said it would “continually be worked on”.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








