Advertisement

Woman charged over hammer attack on hospital patient

The victim was a patient at Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. <i>Photo: AAP</i>

The victim was a patient at Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Photo: AAP

A man is fighting for his life after being attacked with a hammer in a Sydney hospital ward while he was lying in his bed.

A 46-year-old woman allegedly walked into the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital in Camperdown just after midnight on Wednesday.

She allegedly bashed the man with a pink hammer because he stole her brother’s ashes, a court heard on Thursday afternoon.

Viki Graham, 46, will spend at least two months behind bars after she was charged with wounding the patient at a busy inner-city hospital.

The court was told the man suffered a skull fracture, bleeding on the brain and a seizure in the attack and was taken to intensive care in a critical condition.

Graham, who works part-time at a local pub, walked into Sydney’s Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and spoke with a night nurse shortly after midnight on Thursday, police said.

The nurse told the woman she could not visit the ward because it was after visiting hours, prosecutors alleged in bail court on Thursday.

Graham is accused of ignoring the nurse and entering anyway.

“I just want to talk to him,” she allegedly told the nurse.

When she found the victim, she drew a hammer with a pink handle from a bag and struck the 63-year-old man firmly on the right side of his head, police allege.

Acting Judge Judith Sweeney said the man had been in hospital since January.

“This was a gratuitously violent attack,” the judge said.

Police said Graham tried to escape the ward after the attack but the doors had been closed.

After her arrest, the woman allegedly confessed to officers, saying: “I smashed him with a hammer”.

She allegedly told police her motivation for the attack stemmed from the victim having stolen the ashes of her late brother.

The 46-year-old was charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, which carries a maximum penalty of 25 years in jail.

Graham was unsuccessful in her bid for bail after appearing via a video link from Newtown Police Station in a long, black waterproof coat.

Graham will appear at Downing Centre Local Court on June 4.

Sydney Local Health District chief executive Deb Willcox said while the hospital had designated visiting hours, the buildings were accessible 24 hours a day.

“Our hospital is an open public building where people can gain access anytime of the day or the evening,” she said.

“We do whatever we can to enable people and visitors and friends and loved ones to see the patients.”

Willcox said the man had been in the hospital for some time and was well-known and liked by staff.

“By all accounts (he’s) a really lovely person that the staff are very fond of,” she said.

There were several other patients in beds in the same ward at the time of the attack but Willcox said no one else was impacted.

She said the incident would be investigated by the hospital to determine if improvements could be made.

“I also want to acknowledge our staff, who acted very, very swiftly and promptly.”

Willcox said a security review would be undertaken.

“There are standard visiting hours, but this is a very big and busy hospital,” she said.

“People come from interstate, come from all around the state, at all parts of Sydney, and our staff do whatever they can to accommodate their loved ones and friends and families who may come at all different times of the day and night.”

–AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.