Man killed in brazen Sydney shooting


Police established a crime scene around the shooting. Photo: Nine News
Police have chased and arrested two suspects after a man was killed in a daylight shooting in a public place in Sydney.
Officers found the victim with gunshot wounds to his neck, chest and leg when they were called to Carinya Street, in the western suburb of Blacktown, about 11.50am on Friday.
He was treated by NSW Ambulance paramedics but died at the scene, NSW Police said in a statement.
“At the same time, police attempted to stop a Mazda utility that was seen leaving the scene,” they said.
“When the vehicle did not stop, a pursuit was initiated.”
The chase ended when the vehicle crashed on Kildare Road, with police saying two occupants – one in his late teens and one in his early 20s – ran from the scene and were arrested a short time later.
Superintendent Brendan Gorman told media on Friday afternoon that both the men arrested and the victim were known to police, adding that no further suspects were being sought.
Asked if the shooting was thought to be gang-related, Gorman said that would form part of the investigation.
“Public place shooting, and all shootings, police take very seriously. It’s one of our number-one priorities, and police will do whatever it takes to end that violence.”
Gorman could not confirm when streets surrounding the shooting would be reopened, saying: “It is early days and it’s a complex investigation with a number of crime scenes.”
Anyone with information or dashcam footage is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

A man suffered multiple gunshot wounds in the fatal Blacktown attack. Photo: ABC News
Earlier on Friday, NSW Police reported that detectives had laid further charges over a separate public place shooting in Sydney’s Bossley Park a week ago.
In that case, several shots were fired into a home from an Audi sedan before it drove from the scene.
A 16-year-old boy and a 22-year-old man were charged initially, and following further inquiries and the search of a home in Waterloo on Thursday, a further four men have now also been charged.
Police allegedly found and seized more than $18,000 in cash, a Glock pistol, two gel blasters, rounds of ammunition and firearm magazines during the search.
Sydney has experienced more than a dozen public shootings, arson attacks and kidnappings since Christmas 2024, leading police to set up the 150 officer-strong Taskforce Falcon in May to crush the underworld warfare.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








