Loved ones grieve as Bondi accused charged with murder

Source: ABC
Accused terrorist Naveed Akram has been charged with murder amid an outpouring of grief as victims of the Bondi massacre are laid to rest.
Having woken from a days-long coma, Akram was charged on Wednesday with 59 offences, including 15 counts of murder — one for each victim — and one count of committing a terrorist act.
The 24-year-old did not appear or apply for bail during a brief court hearing.
He and his father, 50-year-old Sajid Akram, are accused of using long-arm guns to fire at a crowd of people celebrating the Jewish festival of lights at Australia’s most famous beach on Sunday night.
Naveed is also charged with 40 counts of wounding with intent to murder and single counts of discharging a firearm in public, causing a public display of a prohibited terrorist symbol, and placing an explosive in or near a building with intent to cause harm.
The case was adjourned until April 8.
Meanwhile, former Liberal treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who is Jewish, continued his attacks on Prime Minister Anthony Albanese in an appearance on the ABC’s 7.30 on Wednesday.
Earlier in the day, Frydenberg launched an extraordinary attack on Albanese, claiming he “allowed Australia to be radicalised”.
Host Sarah Ferguson asked the former rising political star whether his “personal case” against the PM should be seen through a “political lens”, amid speculation Frydenberg is staging a comeback.
“I’m deeply offended by what you’ve just said. I’m deeply offended,” he said.
“That is an insult to say there’s any political motivation in this.
“I’m an Australian who has to have personal security because my life is endangered in this country, and I was the treasurer of this country.
“How should we live with this? Why should we live with this?”
Frydenberg said: “My children go to a school where there are armed guards outside.
“When I visit a Jewish childcare centre, there are armed guards outside. When I send my kids to sporting clubs, there are police cars out there and police tape.
“Why should we live with this?
“If I’m not going to speak out, who is? If not now, when? If not me, who?”
Source: AAP
‘Ray of sunshine’
The youngest victim of the Bondi Beach massacre will be farewelled on Thursday.
Ten-year-old Matilda is remembered by her school for being a joy to others and choreographing dances on the playground.
A funeral service will held at a memorial hall in Sydney’s eastern suburbs.
Earlier, Matilda’s parents – who hail from Ukraine – spoke at Bondi Pavilion of their heartbreaking loss.
“I couldn’t imagine I would lose my daughter here,” her mother Valentyna told a swelling crowd surrounded by a sea of floral tributes.
Her father Michael said they named her Matilda “because she was our firstborn in Australia”.
“I thought that Matilda was the most Australian name that could ever exist,” he said.
“Just remember — remember her name.”
Seventeen people remain in hospital following Sunday’s attacks, including one in a critical condition.

Police officers Scott Dyson (left) and Jack Hibbert remain in hospital. Photos: NSW Police
Four others are critical but stable, including Constable Scott Dyson who had surgery on Wednesday after being wounded in the attack.
Probationary Constable Jack Hibbert lost vision in one eye after being shot in the head and will require additional surgeries and treatment.
NSW Premier Chris Minns on Wednesday flagged nation-leading caps on gun owners and a crackdown on protests aimed at maintaining social cohesion.
Legislation is being drafted to invoke a terrorist designation in certain circumstances that would allow police to reject a group applying to hold a demonstration.
“My concern is that a mass demonstration in this combustible situation with our multicultural community could light a flame that would be impossible to extinguish,” Minns said.
When pressed on which demonstrations would be covered and whether it was targeting pro-Palestine rallies, he said it would be a “blanket rule”.
The NSW Parliament will be recalled next week so the legislation can be dealt with before Christmas.
More than one million firearms are registered in NSW, including more than 300 to one antique collector.
While the per-person cap on firearms was being determined, Minns said five was too many, in reference to a limit recently imposed in Western Australia.
Other changes will reclassify straight pull-up and pump-action shotguns, reduce magazine capacity for shotguns and change appeal rights once police withdraw a firearm licence.
The state government was contemplating a royal commission into the shooting, Minns said.
In charged scenes at a growing floral tribute at the beach, former treasurer Josh Frydenberg suggested the Jewish community had been abandoned and pointed the finger at Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
“It’s time for him to accept personal responsibility for the death of 15 innocent people, including a 10-year-old child,” Frydenberg, who is Jewish, said.
Albanese has defended his government’s efforts to combat antisemitism, while Opposition Leader Sussan Ley has set up an internal task force to develop policies on the issue as well as counter-terrorism and deradicalisation.
Lifeline 131 114
beyondblue 1300 224 636
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








