Princess’s surprise move, as protesters confront royals

Source: Republic
Princess Eugenie has quit as patron of Anti-Slavery International amid the ongoing scandal surrounding her father, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.
Her decision comes less than a month after the former prince – who was stripped of his titles in October – was arrested at his Sandringham home on suspicion of misconduct in public office following revelations in the Epstein files released by the US government.
“After seven years, our patronage from HRH Princess Eugenie of York has come to an end,” Anti-Slavery International told The Observer.
“We thank the princess very much for her support for Anti-Slavery International. We hope that she continues to work to end slavery for good and deliver freedom for everyone.”
The organisation is the world’s oldest human rights organisation.
There is no suggestion of any wrongdoing by 35-year-old Eugenie, who has yet to comment on her father’s arrest.
Anti-Slavery International’s website previously hailed the princess’s work “across the board with leaders in the fight against modern slavery”. Her profile has now been removed.

Princesses Beatrice (left) and Eugenie at Royal Ascot. Photo: Getty
Eugenie – who has sons August, five, and Ernest, two, with husband Jack Brooksbank – also works as a director of art gallery Hauser and Wirth, and co-founded another anti-slavery charity, Anti-Slavery Collective, with her friend Julia de Boinville in 2017.
Britain’s Charity Commission has confirmed it is “assessing concerns” about the Anti-Slavery Collective. That steps from BBC reports that the charity’s accounts for the previous financial year showed it had raised £1.5 million ($A2.9 million) in donations but had distributed very little, with £1.3 million carried forward.
Following Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest, it was claimed that Eugenie and her sister, Princess Beatrice – who has Sienna, four, and 13-month-old Athena with husband Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi and is stepmother to his nine-year-old son Wolfie – were focusing on “protecting their own children”.
That followed reports early last week that the sisters had been banned from joining the wider royal family at Royal Ascot in June.
The Prince and Princess of Wales are said to be keen to keep Beatrice and Eugenie at “arm’s length” amid the ongoing fallout from the Epstein files. Prince William has also reportedly advised other royals to avoid appearing in photographs with the York sisters “for the rest of the year”.
Senior royals, including the King and Queen and William and wife Catherine were out in force on Monday for Commonwealth Day celebrations.

Graham Smith, CEO of anti-monarchy group Republic, led protesters at Westminster Abbey. Photo: AAP
Outside Westminster Abbey, where the main service was held, protesters chanted “Not my King” and “Charlie, Charlie, time to go”. One sign read “Charles, what did you know?” above images of Mountbatten-Windsor that were previously released in the Epstein files.
Mountbatten-Windsor and his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson, the former Duchess of York, have faced increasing scrutiny over their friendship with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
Last week there were reports that Beatrice and Eugenie were not planning on doing “any public events in the near future”.
“Eugenie and Beatrice have had to change their upcoming public-facing plans and future plans this year,” a source told Us Weekly on Thursday.
The source said the sisters were “horrified” by the scandal and were worried “there could be more to come”.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








