Advertisement

Former prince Andrew arrested on misconduct allegations

Source: ABC News US

The King says “the law must take its course” after the extraordinary arrest of his brother Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

British police swooped on Mountbatten-Windsor’s home at Sandringham about 8am on Thursday (UK time) and took the former prince into custody on his 66th birthday.

There were also police raids on the disgraced royal’s current home, Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, and his previous residence, Royal Lodge, in Windsor.

Later, Reuters captured the first photo of Andrew being released after 12 hours in custody. He was seen on Friday morning (AEDT) looking shellshocked and leaning back in a car while being driven from Aylsham Police Station in Norfolk.

 

Thames Valley Police said they were “assessing” reports that Mountbatten-Windsor sent confidential government trade reports to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein in 2010 while the then prince was a British trade envoy.

No charges have been laid. The alleged crime could reportedly incur a sentence of life in jail.

“The arrested man has now been released under investigation,” British police said.

“We can also confirm that our searches in Norfolk have now concluded.

Searches in Berkshire – where the Royal Lodge is located – were continuing.

Mountbatten-Windsor is the first senior British royal in modern history to be arrested.

The police probe followed the release of millions of pages of documents connected to a US investigation of Epstein. The former prince features prominently in the documents.

“Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office,” British police said.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.”

Media gathered outside Mountbatten-Windsor’s home and aired vision of plainclothes police and uniform officers on the property.

wood farm Andrew

Police officers outside Wood Farm, where Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested. Photo: AAP

The King, who continued with his royal engagements hours after the arrest, was reportedly not warned about his younger brother’s impending arrest.

“I have learned with the deepest concern the news about Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor and suspicion of misconduct in public office,” Buckingham Palace said in an official statement.

“What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities.

“In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.

“Let me state clearly: The law must take its course.

“As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.”

Mountbatten-Windsor, the second ​son of the late Queen Elizabeth, has always denied any wrongdoing in relation to Epstein, and ​said he regretted ‌their friendship.

But he has not responded to requests for comment since the latest ​release of documents.

The King stripped Andrew of his royal titles, including the right to be called a prince, in October 2025 as he tried to insulate the monarchy from the continuing revelations about his younger brother’s relationship with Epstein.

Those revelations have tarnished the royal family for more than a decade.

Mountbatten-Windsor had been reported to police by the anti-monarchy campaign group Republic following the release of more than three ​million ​pages of documents relating to ​Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from ‌a minor in 2008.

Those files suggested Mountbatten-Windsor had in 2010 forwarded to Epstein reports about Vietnam, Singapore and other places he had visited on official trips.

-with AAP/Reuters and PA

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.