Gout Gout pulls out of Glasgow Commonwealth Games
Source: Seven Network
Australian sprint sensation Gout Gout will not run at this year’s Glasgow Commonwealth Games, choosing to focus on the world under-20 championships, where he hopes to emulate the legendary Usain Bolt.
The two events are back-to-back in the northern hemisphere summer and the 18-year-old Gout and his support team have decided it would be unwise to contest both so early in his burgeoning career.
“It is [a big decision],” Gout told the Seven Network on Sunday.
“[The Commonwealth Games] is a great event and it’s one of those big meetings everyone loves. But looking at it, it is definitely a better decision going for the world under-20s.”
The August 5-9 meet – formerly known as the world junior championships – will be held in Eugene, Oregon, at the same stadium that hosted the 2022 world championships.
Before going on to dominate world sprinting and rewrite the record books, Bolt kicked off his career with 200-metre gold at the 2002 world juniors.
Gout – who was second in the half-lap race at the world under-20 championships in Lima at the age of 16 – has often spoken of his wish to emulate Bolt’s feat.
The 18-year-old from Queensland has become a cult figure after exploding on to the global athletics scene less than two years ago.
After breaking Peter Norman’s 56-year-old 200-metre national record in late 2024, Gout made global headlines in 2025 with a world championships debut and 200-metre semi-final appearance in Japan.
Source: World Athletics
He had been flagged as a potential 100-metre medallist in Glasgow, and his absence will be a significant blow to the Australian team and the event as a whole.
But Australian Commonwealth Games team chef de mission Petria Thomas said she understood the teenager’s decision to pull out of the Games, which run from July 23 to August 2.
“Gout is a remarkable talent and although he won’t be in Glasgow, we hope to see him don the green and gold at a Commonwealth Games in the future,” Thomas said.
“I think it’s important that we all remember he is 18 and remains on the rise.
“He has a long career ahead of him and we respect his decision to prioritise the world under-20 championships as he builds towards a home Olympic Games at Brisbane 2032.”
Australian Athletics also supported Gout’s decision to focus on the junior championships.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.







