Advertisement

Judge cuts off man accused of attempt to kill Trump

The man accused of trying to assassinate Donald Trump is representing himself at the trial. <i>Photo: AP</i>

The man accused of trying to assassinate Donald Trump is representing himself at the trial. Photo: AP

The man on trial for allegedly attempting to assassinate US President Donald Trump at a golf course has been shut down by the judge after an irrelevant rant.

Florida-based US District Judge Aileen Cannon stopped Ryan Routh’s presentation to a jury after only a few minutes when he delved into topics including the origin of the human species, the settlement of the American West, and international conflicts.

Cannon had earlier warned the defendant that she had limited patience for an argument that would “make a mockery of the dignity of the courtroom”.

Routh, 59, has pleaded not guilty to five federal charges, including attempted assassination of a major presidential candidate. He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison.

The trial began the day after right-wing activist and influential Trump ally Charlie Kirk was shot and killed during an event at Utah Valley University, marking the latest instance of political violence in the United States.

Trump faced two assassination attempts during his 2024 presidential campaign that sent him back to the White House.

US prosecutors allege Routh hid with a rifle near the sixth hole green at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach, intending to kill the President as he played golf on September 15, 2024.

“Last year, the defendant Ryan Routh wanted to make sure that the people of this country could not elect Donald Trump as president of the United States,” prosecutor John Shipley said during his opening statement.

“So the defendant decided to take the choice away from American voters.”

Robert Fercano, a special agent with the US Secret Service, testified that he was patrolling on a golf cart ahead of Trump on the day of the incident and spotted a face and a rifle pointing at him through a fence. Fercano said he fired in the direction of the weapon, which prosecutors allege prompted Routh to flee.

During cross-examination, Fercano confronted Routh about the episode.

“Mentally, I have to live with the fact that you pointed a gun at my face,” Fercano testified.

The incident came about two months after Trump was wounded in the ear following a shooting at a campaign rally in Pennsylvania last July. That gunman was shot dead at the scene.

Routh, who had lived an erratic life as a struggling roofing contractor, had advocated for democracy in Taiwan and Ukraine and was interviewed in 2023 about a quixotic plan to deploy Afghan refugees to help Ukraine repel Russia’s invasion.

In July, he told Cannon he did not trust a “random stranger” to speak for him and would defend himself. His two former public defenders are serving as standby lawyers to assist with logistical issues.

–Reuters

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: Donald Trump
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.