Advertisement

MPs attack ‘arrogant’ Andrew, as police finish searching home

Mountbatten-Windsor was arrested last week, then later released.

Source: ABC News US

Police have finished searching Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home in southeast England ‌after he was arrested last ‌week on suspicion of misconduct in public office.

“Thames Valley Police can confirm the searches in Berkshire in connection to its investigation into the offence of misconduct in public office have now ended,” the force said in a statement.

“Officers have now left the location we have been searching in Berkshire,” Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright added.

“This concludes the search activity that commenced following our arrest of a man in his sixties from Norfolk on Thursday.

“We understand the significant public interest in this case and our investigation remains ongoing.

“It is important that our investigators are given the time and space to progress their work. We will provide updates when it is appropriate to do so, but this is unlikely to be for some time.”

Police had been searching Mountbatten-Windsor’s former home, Royal Lodge in Windsor, Berkshire, following his arrest on February 19, as part of a police investigation into his ties with the late US sex offender ‌Jeffrey Epstein.

Documents in the Epstein files released ​by the ‌US Justice Department in January appeared to show that ​King Charles’ younger brother had sent confidential government documents to the disgraced financier while working as ​a ​trade envoy.

Mountbatten-Windsor has ​always denied any wrongdoing in relation ‌to Epstein, and said he regretted their friendship.

The latest update comes as British Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s government agreed ‌to release documents relating to Mountbatten-Windsor’s appointment as a trade envoy.

Last week’s arrest of Mountbatten-Windsor led some MPs to openly question during a debate if it was time to end the parliamentary convention that prevents them from criticising the royal family.

Chris Bryant, a junior trade minister, said during the debate that Mountbatten-Windsor had been on “a constant self-aggrandising, self-enriching hustle” as the envoy.

Bryant called Mountbatten-Windsor “a rude, arrogant and entitled man who could not distinguish between the ⁠public interest which he said he served, and his own private interest”.

Mountbatten-Windsor served as the UK’s Special Representative for International Trade and Investment between 2001 to 2011 in a role that allowed him to travel the world meeting senior business and government figures in the unpaid role.

MPs from opposition parties lined up to criticise the former prince. At least four said the convention shielding the royal family in parliament should end.

“These arcane rules make a mockery of our democracy,” said Brendan O’Hara, a member of parliament for the Scottish National Party.

“Nobody, regardless of rank or privilege, should or must be above the law.”

The House of Commons Speaker had given MPs approval to discuss Mountbatten-Windsor on the basis that he is no longer a member of the royal family, having been stripped of his titles.

The Liberal Democrats had put pressure on the government to compel it to release all the documents related to his appointment using an arcane parliamentary procedure known as a humble address.

Bryant said that the government supported the motion, and it was unanimously passed by MPs.

Bryant said he would try to get the documents released as soon as possible, but officials would need to check it would not interfere with the police investigation.

Publication of the vetting documents could embarrass figures who served in then Prime Minister Tony Blair’s government when he was appointed, as well as members of the British royal family, which is facing its worst crisis in 90 years over Mountbatten-Windsor’s connections to Epstein.

Meanwhile, London police said on Friday they were contacting former protection officers who worked for Mountbatten-Windsor, urging anyone ​with allegations of sex offences relating to Epstein ​to come forward.

–with PA

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.