Advertisement

Trump to run Gaza board under new plan for peace

Trump's 'board of peace'

Source: Fox News 

US President Donald Trump would be appointed to lead a “board of peace” in Gaza under an American plan to “immediately” end the war.

Trump’s 20-point plan — which has been agreed to by Israel — involves Israel ending its invasion in exchange for the return of its hostages and loved ones’ bodies.

Hamas and all its infrastructure and weapons would be “decommissioned”, effectively ending the terror group, while Israel would undertake a staged withdrawal.

A “board of peace” — chaired by Trump — would be an international transitional authority to move the region forward. On Monday (US time), he said former UK prime minister Tony Blair would be part of the board.

Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met on Monday and revealed the details during a press conference at the White House.

Trump said it was “potentially one of the greatest days ever in civilisation”, and would bring peace to the Middle East and “beyond”.

Israel has agreed to the plan. But Hamas said it had not received a copy. It has not agreed to anything.

“I’m hearing Hamas wants to get this done too,” said Trump, saying the plan had the backing of Arab and Muslim nations.

He also issued a warning to Hamas that he would not stand Israel’s way if the terror group refused to sign up.

“Israel would have my full backing to finish the job of destroying the threat of Hamas, but I hope that we’re going to have a deal for peace,” he said.

“If Hamas rejects the deal, which is always possible, but if not, as you know, Bibi (Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu), you’d have our full backing to do what you would have to do.”

Speaking at a joint press conference with Netanyahu, Trump said they were “beyond very close” to forging an elusive peace deal and that he hoped Hamas militants would also accept it.

Trump said the plan was “part of the bigger picture of peace in the Middle East: Let’s call it internal peace”.

Netanyahu praised Trump’s leadership abroad, which he said was “changing the world for the better”. He said the plan was “setting the stage for peace in the Middle East and beyond the Middle East”.

“I also want to thank Prime Minister Netanyahu for agreeing to the plan and for trusting that if we work together, we can bring an end to the death and destruction that we’ve seen for so many years, decades, even centuries and begin a new chapter of security, peace and prosperity for the entire region,” Trump said.

In Netanyahu’s fourth visit to the White House since Trump returned to office in January, the right-wing Israeli leader was looking to shore up his country’s most important relationship after a slew of Western leaders– including Australian PM Anthony Albanese – formally embraced Palestinian statehood last week in defiance of the US and Israel.

Trump, who sharply criticised the recognition moves as a prize for Hamas, was seeking Netanyahu’s agreement despite Israel’s misgivings on parts of the plan.

It marked a stepped-up diplomatic effort from Trump, who vowed during the 2024 presidential election campaign to quickly bring the conflict to a close and has since repeatedly claimed a peace deal is near, only for it to fail to materialise.

Hamas’ apparent absence from the negotiations has raised questions about the prospects for the latest initiative.

Washington presented its peace plan to Arab and Muslim states on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly last week. Trump’s main objective on Monday was to try to close the remaining gaps with Netanyahu.

The White House talks came as Israeli tanks on Monday thrust deeper into the heart of Gaza City.

Israel has launched one of its biggest offensives of the war this month, with Netanyahu saying he aims to wipe out Hamas.

The war has left much of Gaza in ruins and caused a major humanitarian crisis. Arriving by limousine, Netanyahu was greeted by Trump outside the White House doors with a handshake, a stark contrast to the Israeli Prime Minister’s chilly reception when he spoke on Friday before the UN General Assembly, where scores of delegates walked out in protest.

Previous US-backed ceasefire efforts have fallen apart due to a failure to bridge the gap between Israel and Hamas. Netanyahu has vowed to continue fighting until Hamas is completely dismantled.

The meeting in Washington came at a tenuous moment. Israel is increasingly isolated, losing support from many countries that were long its steadfast allies.

At home, Netanyahu’s governing coalition appears more fragile than ever. And the White House is showing signs of impatience.

Earlier, in a post on social media, Trump said: “We have a real chance for GREATNESS IN THE MIDDLE EAST. ALL ARE ON BOARD FOR SOMETHING SPECIAL, FIRST TIME EVER. WE WILL GET IT DONE!!!”

When international leaders gathered at the UN last week, the US unveiled a 21-point Middle East peace plan to end the nearly two-year-long war in the Gaza Strip.

It calls for the return of all hostages, living and dead, no further Israeli attacks on Qatar and a dialogue between Israel and Palestinians for “peaceful coexistence”, a White House official said.

Israel angered Qataris by launching an air strike against Hamas targets in their capital Doha on September 9.

A Hamas representative said at the weekend the group had not seen the US plan.

An Egyptian security official told the EFE news agency on Sunday that Trump’s proposal included a transitional government in the Gaza Strip without Hamas and the release of all hostages held by the group.

According to the report, the proposal offers Hamas leaders immunity from Israeli assassination inside or outside the Gaza Strip, conditional amnesty for members in the enclave and arrangements for those who wish to leave.

The plan, the source said, envisions an interim administration of Palestinian technocrats under an international commission led by the US with Arab and European partners pending reforms to the Palestinian National Authority.

It also foresees a temporary international force under US and Arab command to ensure security and train a local Palestinian police force.

-with AAP/EFE

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.