Protest group threatens to leak premier’s address


Peter Malinauskas says protesters who have tried to find his home address are "un-Australian". Photo: AAP
South Australian Premier Peter Malinauskas has responded to reports that a protest group has been searching in a Facebook group with almost 6000 members for his home address.
After a Facebook post threatened to leak his home address, Malinauskas said some of the “extreme” parklands protesters were engaging in un-Australian conduct.
The post, shared in the “Possum Park Protection Platoon” Facebook group, posted a Google Maps screenshot of Malinuaskas’ electorate and encouraged followers to find his address.
Protesters are angered about the felling of nearly 600 trees for a $45 million golf course redevelopment on the Adelaide Park Lands in North Adelaide, with some holding another rally last weekend. A petition objecting to the plan and calling for greater protection of the park has amassed 47,305 signatures.
Adelaide Park Lands Association president Mat Monti said the group acted rapidly after the post was live for about two hours. His association removed it from the Facebook group, which has about 5900 members.
Monti said the association had boosted its Facebook settings, so that all posts must be approved by administrators before they could be shared to the group.
“Our opposition is to the redevelopment of the North Adelaide Golf Course and the destruction of the park lands,” Monti wrote in a post to the Facebook group on Monday.
“It is not a personal war against the Premier or any minister. Political disagreements should never include violence or threats.
“Any further posts inciting violence or targeting the Premier or his family will not be tolerated and may result in further consequences should they reach a level that requires reporting to SAPOL.”
The latest action follows consistent protests last week, including one last Friday where eight people were arrested at North Adelaide.
Asked about the threat on Monday, Malinauskas said “some of this conduct is just not who we are as South Australians”.
“A minority of the protesters, it is not a majority, I’ve been clear about this all the way through, a majority of protesters have conducted themselves simply and reasonably, but a minority just being way too extreme,” he said.
He would not comment on his security arrangements.
It follows a peaceful “cultural gathering” organised by First Nations group Preserving Pirltawardli on Sunday, which brought those opposing the tree-felling to the golf course site.
The state government has said the golf course redesign will remove 585 trees from the parklands but would not touch protected Aboriginal land.
Parklands protesters planned to fill the public gallery in the SA parliament’s upper house on Wednesday in support of a bill from Greens leader Robert Simms to halt the golf course redevelopment and redirect funds to public transport discounts.
Monti said the Adelaide Park Lands Association would then turn its attention to the MotoGP track slated for Victoria Park to try to preserve as many trees as possible.
The MotoGP will be held from 2027 at the city circuit that is already used for the BP Adelaide Grand Final supercars.
Republished from InDaily
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








