Police urge those in the know to dob in girl’s abductor
Source: AAP
Police say some members of the Alice Springs community “absolutely know” where the man suspected of snatching five-year-old Sharon Granites is, as a massive search continues for the little girl.
The manhunt for Jefferson Lewis, 47, continued on Wednesday, six days after he is alleged to have taken Sharon from Old Timers town camp near Alice Springs just six days after he was released from prison.
Police said items found at a crime scene near the town camp, including a shirt and a child’s underwear, were being forensically examined and the possibility of sexual assault was “on the table”.
Northern Territory Police Commissioner Martin Dole said police were appealing for information from the community.
“We believe that there are members of the community that absolutely know where Jefferson Lewis is,” he said in Alice Springs.
The smallest detail from the public could be the one that unlocked the investigation, Dole said.
Source: Network Ten
Assistant Commissioner Peter Malley said police believed Sharon was still alive but her chances were diminishing. She was last seen late on Saturday night.
“She may have come to harm but we still think she’s alive and our No.1 mission is to find her safe and well,” he said.
Malley warned that anyone sheltering Lewis would face charges.
Scores of police officers, defence force members, Aboriginal trackers and volunteers have been scouring tough desert terrain to find Sharon and her alleged abductor.
Alice Springs Mayor Asta Hill said a town council meeting on Tuesday night opened with a prayer for Sharon and her safe return.
“There is intense worry reverberating through the whole community. It’s as though the whole community is holding its breath,” she said.
The community had united with a single purpose – to bring Sharon home safely, Hill said.

Community members have joined the search for Sharon. Photo: AAP
Lewis is believed to have lured Sharon away after he was seen holding a little girl’s hand during a party at the camp.
Between 2016 and 2025, Lewis was sentenced to 64 months in prison for offences including aggravated assaults, breaching domestic violence orders, bail and resisting police.
NT Chief Minister Lia Finocchiaro issued a stern message to Lewis to “hand her in, go to the authorities”.
“It’s very distressing, particularly for the family,” she told 2GB on Wednesday, referring to Sharon as a “gorgeous little girl”.
“I have just been looking at my phone waiting for a call from the police commissioner to tell me that they’ve found her,” she said.
There have been no sightings of either Sharon or Lewis. But police said they believed the five-year-old was still alive and likely within an established 20 square kilometre search zone.
Sharon was last seen by her family when she was taken to bed about 11.30pm on Saturday, at the town camp of nine households and 40 residents.
She was reported missing about two hours later.
Police have no motive for the alleged abduction, but have released more detail on what they believe happened before Sharon disappeared.
Sharon and her mother had been visiting a home at Old Timers to do laundry, police said. There was a later party at the house, where Lewis was staying.
Police were called out to the party but no offences were detected. They have since released images of Lewis captured that night.
They said Lewis was probably under the influence of alcohol and was seen “holding hands with a little girl” about 11pm.
He allegedly led the girl towards an area that has been declared a crime scene – near Alice Springs Telegraph Station. Neither has been seen since.
Police do not believe Lewis had access to a vehicle but have not ruled out someone driving him around.
-AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








