Young footballer killed by lightning strike

Finley played soccer for the Noosa Lions Football Club. Main photo: Nine News
A young woman killed by lightning on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast has been described as a talented athlete who was practising her soccer skills when the tragedy occurred.
Paramedics rushed to the aid of 21-year-old Finley Bone after she was struck when thunderstorms hit late on Thursday afternoon at the Cooroy Sporting Complex.
She was transported to Nambour Hospital in a critical condition but could not be revived.
Finley’s mother, Donna Markert, said she was a talented athlete who had gone to the soccer field with her partner to practise goal kicking.
“No one can believe this happened,” Markert told ABC News. “Fin had her life taken away in a minute.”
She said her daughter had excelled in swimming, sprints, discus, javelin, and later played touch football and soccer for Noosa Lions.
Noosa Lions Football Club said in a social media post that its members were devastated by the tragedy.
“Finley was a much loved member of our FQPL3 Women’s team and a coach of our U12/13 girls,” the club said, offering its “heartfelt condolences” to her family and friends.
One friend responding to the post described Bone as “a superstar on the field” with “a heart of gold”. Another said she was “always a positive kind person happy to help at any time”.
The Cooroora United Football Club issued a statement on social media, saying “those in and around the grounds, including both members and emergency services, showed admirable action, respect and care for each other”.
“We ask our CUFC community remain respectful online, avoid any unhelpful speculation, and check-in with one another,” it said.
Acknowledging the distress caused to witnesses, the club urged anyone impacted by the incident to reach out for support.
Queensland Police said a report will be prepared for the state coroner.
The incident occurred a couple of hours after the Bureau of Meteorology’s radar crashed as severe storms rolled through parts of south-east Queensland.
The weather bureau has faced heavy criticism after the launch of its new website on October 22, three weeks after the official beginning of storm season in Queensland, with several state politicians warning lives had been put at risk.
It announced on Friday that it had changed the rain radar display in response to community feedback.
More volatile weather is forecast for the weekend, with severe supercell storms predicted to hit Queensland’s southeast again on Saturday.
–with agencies
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








