Advertisement

US YouTuber jailed in South Korea for offensive stunts

American YouTuber Johnny Somali will spend six months in a South Korean jail.

American YouTuber Johnny Somali will spend six months in a South Korean jail. Photo: AAP

An American YouTuber who sparked national outrage in South Korea for provocative stunts, including dancing on a statue honouring victims of wartime sexual slavery, has been sentenced to six months’ jail.

The Seoul Western District Court found Ramsey Khalid Ismael, a self-proclaimed internet “troll” known online as Johnny Somali, guilty of multiple charges, including obstruction of business and distributing fabricated sexually explicit content.

Prosecutors had sought a three-year term for Ismael, who also faced accusations of harassing staff and visitors at an amusement park, disrupting a convenience store by blasting music and upending noodles onto a table, causing similar scenes on a bus and subway, and distributing non-consensual deepfake videos.

The court said the 25-year-old displayed “severe” disrespect for South Korean law, noting he offended countless people with livestreamed stunts aimed at generating YouTube revenue.

The court ordered his immediate detention following the verdict on Wednesday, citing him as a flight risk.

Ismael was also sentenced to a further 20 days in detention and is barred from working with children and people with disabilities for five years.

“The defendant repeatedly committed crimes against unspecified members of the public to generate profit via YouTube and distributed the content in disregard of Korean law,” the court said.

During his trial last year, Ismael tried to enter court wearing a red “MAGA” hat associated with supporters of US President Donald Trump but was stopped.

He also said “Korea is a vassal state of the United States”, sparking backlash, according to local reports.

In October 2024, Somali sparked public outrage in South Korea after posting a video of himself kissing and performing a lap dance on a statue commemorating victims of the Japanese military’s sexual slavery during World War II.

He later apologised, claiming he was unaware of the monument’s significance.

Ismael, who was barred from leaving the country pending his trial, earlier said he regretted his actions and wished to apologise to the South Korean public.

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.