Family ‘utterly devastated’ as boy dies from cricket injury

Source: AAP
A young cricket player’s father says the family is “utterly devastated” at the death of their cherished boy on Thursday morning after a tragic cricket accident in Melbourne.
Ben Austin, 17, was fighting for his life in hospital on Wednesday night after a ball struck him in the neck during a bowling session in the nets at the Wally Tew Reserve in Ferntree Gully.
“For Tracey and I, Ben was an adored son, deeply loved brother to Cooper and Zach, and a shining light in the lives of our family and friends,” said his father Jace Austin in a statement via Cricket Victoria on Thursday.
“This tragedy has taken Ben from us, but we find some comfort that he was doing something he did for so many summers — going down to the nets with mates to play cricket. He loved cricket and it was one of the joys of his life.”
Austin said the unbelievable tragedy had impacted two families as there was another boy bowling with Ben.
“We would also like to support his teammate who was bowling in the nets — this accident has impacted two young men and our thoughts are with he and his family as well,” the statement went on.
“We would like to thank the cricket community including Ferntree Gully Cricket Club, Mulgrave Cricket Club and Eildon Park Cricket Club for their support since Tuesday evening and to the dozens of people who visited Ben in hospital.
“Finally, we would also like to thank all the first responders at the scene and the staff at Monash Children’s Hospital who worked so hard to help Ben.
“We will cherish Ben forever.
“We would ask that our family’s privacy is respected as we come to terms with our loss.”
Specialist paramedics were called to the ground in Melbourne’s outer east, at 4.45pm on Tuesday after the 17-year-old was struck in the neck by a ball.
The Ferntree Gully Cricket Club confirmed on Thursday the death of beloved player Ben Austin.
“We are absolutely devastated by the passing of Ben, and the impacts of his death will be felt by all in our cricket community,” it wrote on social media.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with his family – Jace, Tracey, Cooper and Zach, his extended family, his friends and to all of those who knew Ben and the joy that he brought.”
People laid floral tributes at the Ferntree Gully Cricket Club on Thursday.
The teenager was actively involved with the club, as well as others at Mulgrave and Eildon Park.
In March, he received an award recognising a player who demonstrates dedication and the right attitude to the game.
The 17-year-old, who celebrated his birthday earlier in October, was remembered as a star cricketer, a strong leader and an outstanding young man.
“I know how heavily this news will land across our community and we will provide any and all support we can to our clubs and cricket family,” Ferntree Gully and District Cricket Association president Arnie Walters said.
Ringwood and District Cricket Association president Michael Finn said Ben was warming up in the nets when the injury occurred.
“Medical assistance was provided by people at the ground at the time until the paramedics arrived,” he said.
The organisation, along with Cricket Victoria, offered its full support to those affected.
“We will stand back and give the family all the love and support that we can at this point in time… it must be an incredibly difficult time,” Finn said.
“We need to stand back now and give the family the time, space and respect, they need to process the situation.”
Victorian Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas described the 17-year-old’s death as an absolute tragedy and said her thoughts were with his family.
“This is a heartbreaking story,” she said at state parliament.
The teenager was taken to the Monash Children’s Hospital by advanced life support and intensive care paramedics.
He died on Wednesday.
His death comes more than a decade after Phillip Hughes died from injuries sustained when he was struck by a bouncer at the Sydney Cricket Ground.
The former Test batsman spent two days in hospital after being hit in the neck during a Sheffield Shield match in 2014.
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








