Advertisement

Ten on trial over cyberbullying of Brigitte Macron

Source: The Royal Family

Ten people have gone on trial accused of cyberbullying Brigitte Macron after they allegedly made “malicious” comments online spreading claims that French President Emmanuel Macron’s wife is a man.

Brigitte Macron did not show up at the two-day trial in Paris that started on Monday afternoon (local time).

The Paris prosecutor’s office said the eight men and two women are accused of spreading “numerous malicious comments” online about Macron’s gender and “sexuality” and of mentioning the age gap with her husband as “paedophilia”.

Seven defendants were in court on Monday while three others were represented by their lawyers.

Some of the defendants, aged between 41 and 60, are very active on social media, with posts sometimes accumulating tens of thousands of views.

Delphine Jegousse, 51, known as Amandine Roy, who describes herself as a medium and an author, is considered as having played a major role in spreading the rumour after she released a four-hour video on her YouTube channel in 2021.

Aurélien Poirson-Atlan, 41, known as Zoé Sagan on social media, had his X account suspended last year after his name was cited in several judicial investigations.

Others include an elected official, a teacher and a computer scientist.

The chief judge said all were accused of cyberbullying the first lady, which led to “a deterioration of her physical and mental health”.

The Macrons have for years been dogged by conspiracy theories that Brigitte was born a man named Jean-Michel Trogneux, who supposedly then took the name Brigitte as a transgender woman.

Jean-Michel Trogneux is the name of Brigitte’s brother.

The two-day trial in Paris comes after the Macrons filed a defamation suit in July in a Delaware court as their lawyer said they would seek “substantial” damages from US conservative influencer Candace Owens if she persisted with claims that Brigitte is a man.

Owens is a political commentator whose YouTube channel has about 4.5 million subscribers.

In 2024, she was denied a visa from New Zealand and Australia, citing remarks in which she denied Nazi medical experimentation on Jews in concentration camps during World War II. Earlier this month, she lost her High Court appeal against the Australian decision.

A verdict in the Paris case will likely be issued at a later date.

In September 2024, Brigitte and Jean-Michel Trogneux won a defamation suit against Jegousse and another woman who were sentenced by a Paris court to fines and damages for spreading the claims about the first lady online.

A Paris appeals court overturned the ruling in July.

Brigitte and her brother have since turned to France’s highest court to appeal that decision.

The Macrons, who have been married since 2007, met at the high school where he was a student and she was a teacher.

Brigitte Macron, 24 years her husband’s senior, was then called Brigitte Auzière, a married mother of three.

Emmanuel Macron, 47, has been France’s president since 2017.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.