Advertisement

New CCTV released in police appeal over grandfather’s murder

Source: NSW Police

NSW Police have released fresh CCTV footage as part of their investigation into the kidnapping and murder of 85-year-old grandfather Chris Baghsarian.

The Sydney man was allegedly snatched from his bed at his home in North Ryde by three men in a bungled abduction on February 13.

Police quickly established that Baghsarian was not the intended target and publicly urged the kidnappers to release him, but his body was found 11 days later in Pitt Town, in the city’s north-west.

Two men were arrested by heavily armed police when strike force detectives issued search warrants at separate addresses following the discovery of the grandfather’s remains.

Gerard Anthony Andrews, 29, and Daniel Stevens, 24, were charged with kidnapping and killing Baghsarian and are due to reappear in court next month after being refused bail at their first appearance.

Court documents detailed allegations that the pair transported the 85-year-old to a semi-rural makeshift stronghold in  Dural, on Sydney’s outskirts. Police believe Baghsarian was murdered at some point before 9pm on February 14.

As the investigation continues, NSW Police released CCTV footage on Wednesday of an additional three men who they believe may be able to assist with inquiries.

The trio can be seen walking along a dark, empty street, with one of them holding a torch.

“The men are captured on CCTV walking towards the kidnappers’ stronghold on Wildthorn Avenue in Dural on the night of the kidnapping (February 13),” police alleged in a statement.

“The next day, a blue Hyundai Sedan is seen arriving and then leaving the same location just after 12pm.”

The statement noted that the Hyundai was missing a hubcap on its left side.

Baghsarian kidnap cctv

Police say a blue Hyundai Sedan was seen at the kidnappers’ alleged stronghold. Photo: NSW Police

“We believe these males may be involved,” NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon told ABC Radio on Wednesday.

“It’s important that we identify who they are, and either rule them in or eliminate them from our inquiries.”

Police have said previously that they are still searching for a third alleged offender and suspect more people were involved in the kidnapping.

At the time of the earlier arrests, Robbery and Serious Crime Squad commander Andrew Marks described the case as like somebody’s worst nightmare.

“These people need to be held to account for that and that’s why we are bringing these people before the courts,” he said.

kidnapping baghsarian

Chris Baghsarian was snatched from his home in Sydney’s north-west.

Authorities believe the intended target for the abduction was a relative of Sydney businessman Dimitri Stepanyan, who lived on the same street as Baghsarian.

They suspect the intended target was to be kidnapped in hope of a ransom fee being paid, and have confirmed reports the figure demanded was $50 million.

Baghsarian’s family described him as a deeply loved and gentle family member “who would never hurt a fly”.

Anyone with information about the identity of the men captured in the new CCTV or the driver of the blue car is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

–with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.