Advertisement

PM urged to cut fuel tax as prices continue to soar

Source: AAP

Opposition leader Angus Taylor has urged the government to halve the fuel excise to curb price rises at the bowser, as the Prime Minister insists Australia is responding in an “orderly, adult way” to the impact of the war in Iran.

Speaking outside a service station in Canberra, where diesel was nearly $3.16 a litre and unleaded petrol almost $2.50, Taylor said halving the 52.6c a litre excise would give immediate relief for “hard-working Australians”.

He also argued that the heavy vehicle road user charge should be halved, which would flow through to transport costs for food and other goods.

“We need affordable fuel in this country, we need secure fuel in this country, and we need it as fast as possible,” he said.

“We’re seeing this crisis right across our country right now, and we’re seeing a government that has failed to show leadership, has failed to show urgency and has failed to take action.”

With more than 500 service stations across the country without some kind of fuel on Thursday, Taylor suggested shortages were “a simple problem to solve – move the fuel”.

At least one metropolitan service station is taking is own action to address the problem, with an employee at a Shell-branded outlet on Sydney’s northern beaches confirming to AAP the outlet had implemented a cap of 50 litres per person and banned the filling of jerry cans.

Earlier this week it was revealed that a national fuel emergency response manual suggests a daily transaction limit could be set by the federal energy minister to curb shortages. However, senior ministers have said the government has no intention of applying caps to petrol.

Fuel shortages

Hundreds of petrol stations have run out of fuel. Photo: AAP

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese didn’t announce any new measures on Friday to help solve the fuel crisis

Instead, speaking alongside Energy Minister Chris Bowen, he insisted the fuel supply looked good for the short term, but acknowledged the US-Israel war on Iran was affecting Australia.

“The war is real. The war is having an impact on Australians, like it’s having an impact right around the world,” he told reporters.

“You can’t wish that away. What you can do is respond in an appropriate, orderly, adult way, working with industry, with different levels of government to make a difference.”

Albanese will meet with state and territory leaders on Monday for a national cabinet meeting on the fuel crisis.

Six fuel shipments to Australia that were cancelled or deferred had been replaced by new cargoes, Bowen said.

He said Australia’s petrol, diesel and oil supply would be the same, if not higher, for the next few weeks after orders were put in with suppliers.

“At least three other extra cargoes have been ordered by our refiners and our importers so that for the next few weeks, Australia’s supply of petrol and diesel and oil will be the same, if not higher than it normally would be,” he said.

He reassured people planning to travel during Easter that there were six cargo loads of jet fuel on its way to Australia.

“None of them have been cancelled,” Bowen said.

Meanwhile, fuel companies are being forced to share data about their supplies and sales in NSW to help the state government prepare for potential emergency powers.

“We need a clear picture of the situation to best support people and communities as we navigate the challenges posed by this global conflict,” the state’s Environment Minister Penny Sharpe said.

Oil prices have skyrocketed since the US and Israel launched attacks on Iran in late February, with Iran attacking regional energy infrastructure and effectively closing the Strait of Hormuz.

Earlier on Friday, the federal government responded to a public attack by US President Donald Trump in which he accused Australia and other allies of not providing assistance in the conflict.

“(UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer) didn’t want to help us. Australia, too. Australia was not great. I was a little surprised by Australia,” Trump said.

Australia is providing military assistance in the Persian Gulf region following a request from the United Arab Emirates.

Defence Minister Richard Marles would not be drawn on the President’s criticism, but said no requests from the White House have been received.

“The last thing I’m going to do is give a running commentary on what the President has said – all we can do is respond to this situation, respond to the requests that are made of us,” he told ABC TV on Friday.

Albanese made the point that “Australia wasn’t consulted before this action was undertaken, and I expect that that’s a matter for the United States”.

–with AAP

 

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.