Rise in measles cases prompts urgent vaccination push

Source: NSW Health
A worrying increase in measles cases in Victoria and NSW has prompted health authorities to urge people to ensure they are vaccinated against the highly contagious disease.
The Victorian Department of Health said on Wednesday that measles had recently spread in the state among people who had not travelled overseas or visited known exposure sites.
There have been 17 notified cases so far this year.
“Measles can cause serious illness but can be easily avoided through vaccination so it’s important we take steps to stop the spread of this highly contagious disease,” chief health officer Caroline McElnay said.
“We are working with local public health units to make sure all eligible Victorians know how they can access the free vaccine.”
Two doses of the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine are required for immunity from the disease, which is spread through the air when someone who is infectious coughs or sneezes.
Measles symptoms include fever, cough, sore or red eyes, runny nose, and a general feeling of unwellness, followed by a red, blotchy rash that spreads from the head and face to the rest of the body.
A list of recent Victorian exposure sites includes hospitals and health facilities in several suburbs.
There has been an update to active public exposures sites for measles cases in Victoria.
People who have visited an active site should monitor for symptoms of measles and follow health advice.
Full list of exposure sites: https://t.co/SLmvyiLrfP pic.twitter.com/0qRs7KtA6x
— Victorian Department of Health (@VicGovDH) March 3, 2026
In NSW, there have been 23 confirmed cases of measles since January.
NSW Health is advising people in western Sydney to be alert for signs and symptoms of the disease after being notified of the most recent confirmed case.
It said the person visited locations while unaware they were infectious. An extensive list on the department’s website shows they included hospitals and other health facilities in Auburn, Campbelltown, Lismore and Westmead, as well as Sydney Airport terminal and a Jetstar flight to Melbourne.
While the exposure locations pose “no ongoing risk”, people who visited any of the places during the time periods listed are urged to be on particular alert for symptoms.
“If symptoms develop… see your doctor or health service, including an emergency department,” said Western Sydney Local Health District public health physician Conrad Moreira.
“Call ahead to let them know that you may have come into contact with measles so you don’t spend time in waiting rooms with other patients.”
NSW Health is advising people in western Sydney to be alert for signs and symptoms of measles after being notified of a confirmed case. This person has had no known contact with anyone else with measles and did not attend any known exposure locations in Sydney. pic.twitter.com/i9tUiHAjcc
— NSW Health (@NSWHealth) March 3, 2026
Moreira said anyone with early symptoms who got a rash a few days later should also think about measles and seek testing, even if they haven’t been at one of the identified locations. It can take up to 18 days for symptoms to appear.
Moreira also reiterated the importance of people ensuring they were up to date with their vaccinations.
“Measles vaccine can prevent the disease even after exposure, if given early enough,” he said.
Free MMR vaccines are available in both NSW and Victoria for anyone born after 1965 who hasn’t had two doses of the vaccine or is unsure of their vaccination status. Children are eligible for the free vaccine through the National Immunisation Program, and it is usually administered at 12 months and 18 months.
McElnay urged people travelling overseas to ensure their vaccinations are up to date at least two weeks before departure.
Cases of measles are rising around the world – including in popular travel destinations such as Indonesia (including Bali), Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, the Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Pakistan and India.
The Victorian Department of Health website notes that measles vaccination coverage in Australia is below the 95 per cent national target. The most recent measles cases in Victoria were in people who have not had two doses of the MMR vaccine.
Further information about measles can be found on the NSW Health website, and Victoria’s Department of Health website.
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








