Thousands of teens booted off social media but loopholes remain

Source: @AlboPM / TikTok
Several platforms have been slow to implement Australia’s new social media ban and many teenagers are reportedly finding ways around it, but the government insists it is already a success.
The world-first laws aimed at better protecting children under 16 online came into force on Wednesday, affecting platforms including Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, YouTube and TikTok.
Communications Minister Anika Wells said more than 200,000 TikTok accounts had already been deactivated on Wednesday morning, and predicted “hundreds of thousands” more social media accounts would be closed in the coming days and weeks
She said platforms would be required to “go back and routinely check” for under-16 accounts.
“This isn’t if you pass today you’re fine for the rest of your time until you turn 16,” she told reporters on Wednesday.
“And because you’ve had your older brother scan their face for you today, which has brought you a bit of time, doesn’t mean that these accounts aren’t going to see you talking to other 14-year-olds tonight…
“The onus is on the platforms to ensure this – it’s not on parents.”
The new rules have made international headlines, with Wells saying that about 10 other countries have said they want to follow Australia.
The Guardian reported that its testing of apps covered by the ban found Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, X, Snapchat, Threads and Kick were no longer letting registrations through for those under 16.
However, by Wednesday lunchtime YouTube, Twitch and Reddit were still allowing accounts to be registered with birthdates set for 14-year-olds.
The Age said that its technology reporter was able to set up a YouTube account for an eight-year-old “with no issues”, noting that it was connected to an adult account.
One teenager told AAP he had been kicked off platforms owned by Meta but still had access to Snapchat, while others have said they still have access to TikTok.
Many under-16s have vowed to find a way around the ban, including by fooling the age algorithm.
@_heyitszoeyandmark We will find a way #socialmedia #australiangovernment #syd #foryoupageofficiall ♬ original sound – DreamWorks Trolls
Little-known social media apps Lemon8, Yope and Coverstar, which are not yet covered by the ban, have also shot to the top of Apple’s App Store charts.
A TikTok video by the Prime Minister promoting the ban has attracted a flood of responses from users who claim to have survived the ban, boasting with comments such as “still here lil bro”, “got past it” and “can’t catch me”.
Speaking at an event at Kirribilli House on Wednesday, Anthony Albanese said the new law was already a success because of the fact it was happening and the discussions it had provoked.
“Make no mistake, this reform will change lives for Australian kids… this will make an enormous difference,” he said.
“It is one of the biggest social and cultural changes that our nation has faced. It’s a profound reform, which will continue to reverberate around the world in coming months, to assist not just this generation, but generations to come.”
He added: “This is a journey Australia has gone on. It won’t be perfect… this is a big change.”
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant, whose agency is responsible for enforcing the ban, also conceded there would likely be some teething issues.
“We’re not expecting flawlessness,” she said. “We are playing the long game. We are united in giving this our very best effort.”
Earlier, she told ABC TV her office would be talking to companies on a regular basis about “changing their settings and taking different approaches to implementation”.
“Some will do it better than others. If there’s blatant non-compliance, I think that’s where we’ll turn our investigations.”
Tech companies have said they will use a range of methods to verify a user’s age, including face scans with artificial intelligence, sophisticated analysis of people’s posting patterns and language, and digital IDs.
Some platforms like YouTube will still be accessible without an account, but it will be harder for algorithms to target content to children, and some harmful material will be hidden.
Elon Musk’s X, formerly Twitter, has finally confirmed it will comply with the age restrictions, telling users it would begin verifying the ages of Australian users.
“It’s not our choice – it’s what the Australian law requires,” X posted on its help centre.
–with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








