YouTube to pay Trump $37m over account suspension


Donald Trump's YouTube channel was suspended following the January 6, 2021 US Capitol attack. Photo: Getty
Google’s YouTube has agreed to a massive payout to settle a lawsuit by US President Donald Trump over his account suspension following the January 6, 2021, attack on the US Capitol.
The full amount will be $US24.5 million ($A37.3 million).
According to documents filed in federal court in California, $US22 million ($A33 million) of the settlement will go to the Trust for the National Mall to help pay for the construction of the White House State Ballroom.
The rest will go to other plaintiffs, including conservative non-profit the American Conservative Union.
Google is the latest big tech company to settle lawsuits brought by Trump.
In January, Meta Platforms agreed to pay $US25 million ($A38 million) to settle a lawsuit over his 2021 suspension from Facebook.
Elon Musk’s X agreed to settle a similar lawsuit brought against the company then known as Twitter for $US10 million ($A15 million).
When Trump’s accounts were suspended following the January 6 mob attack, the social media giants said his posts about the riot risked inciting further violence.
This year’s settlements come as the tech giants have taken a more conciliatory approach since Trump returned to the White House in January.
Musk, Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg and Sundar Pichai, the boss of Google-owner Alphabet, were all prominent at Trump’s presidential inauguration.
ABC News agreed to pay $US15 million ($A23 million) in December toward Trump’s presidential library to settle a defamation lawsuit over anchor George Stephanopoulos’ inaccurate on-air assertion that the president-elect had been found civilly liable for raping writer E Jean Carroll.
And in July, Paramount decided to pay Trump $US16 million ($A24 million) to settle a lawsuit regarding editing at CBS’ 60 Minutes news program.
Last week, YouTube wrote to US House Judiciary Committee chairman Senator Jim Jordan to say it would begin to restore accounts kicked off for misinformation during the Covid-19 pandemic and the aftermath of the January 6 riot.
Google declined to comment on the reasons for the settlement, but Trump’s YouTube account has been restored since 2023. The settlement is will barely dent Alphabet, which has a market value of nearly $US3 trillion ($A4.6 trillion) — an increase of about $US600 billion ($A912 billion), or 25 per cent, since Trump’s return to the White House.
The court filing in the YouTube settlement says it does not constitute an admission of liability. Google confirmed the settlement but declined to comment beyond it.
The disclosure of the settlement came a week before a scheduled court hearing to discuss the case with US District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez-Rogers in California.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








