Advertisement

Rivals circle as Ten ‘rests’ popular celebrity reality show

Robert Irwin says co-hosting the show has been 'life-changing'.

Source: Instagram

Network 10 has announced that I’m A Celebrity … Get Me Out Of Here! will not air next year, confirming widespread speculation that the reality show’s future is up in the air.

The program is co-hosted by Julia Morris and wildlife warrior Robert Irwin, who has reportedly been at the centre of a bidding war among rival networks.

“We have made the decision to rest I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out Of Here! in 2027 as we focus on offering our audience a range of content on all platforms,” a Ten spokesperson said on Friday.

“We look forward to working with Julia Morris and Robert Irwin on other projects.”

The reality show is produced by ITV Australia, and there have been suggestions Network Seven or Nine could be willing to take it on as a vehicle for Irwin ­and to fill a demographic hole in their line-ups.

It has also been claimed that Seven would be keen to nab the son of the late Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin for other roles, with News Corp reporting last week that it was eyeing him for “several major entertainment projects, including a hosting role at the 2026 TV Week Logie awards”.

Irwin’s on-air appeal was boosted when he won the most recent season of the American edition of Dancing with the Stars.

The charismatic young TV personality was also recently signed to host Disney’s upcoming Dancing with the Stars spin-off program Dancing with the Stars: The Next Pro.

Announcing the I’m a Celebrity hiatus on Friday, Network Ten released statements from its two hosts.

Morris, who has been with the show since its launch 12 years ago, described it as “the best working experience of my lifetime”.

Irwin has co-hosted I’m a Celebrity for the past three seasons, taking over after former Bondi Vet star Chris Brown left in 2023 to join Seven, and said it had been “truly life-changing”.

“I grew up watching this show, as so many Aussies do, so to be part of the fantastic team that make this series a reality felt like a dream come true,” he said.

“We have had the honour of sharing incredible stories and create a platform to shine a light on amazing charities that our celebrities have supported along the way. And to do it all alongside my co-host, and friend, Julia Morris made it a truly life-changing experience that I will remember for the rest of my life.”

I’m a Celebrity is primarily filmed in South Africa, with Ten cutting costs this year by pre-recording the series rather than presenting a live version. The 2026 opening episode attracted 925,000 viewers nationally, but ratings fell for subsequent instalments.

ITV Studios Australia CEO David Mott said the show had consistently been one of Ten’s highest-performing entertainment series.

“Naturally, we are disappointed with their decision, but we also respect it,” TV Tonight quoted Mott as saying.

“Given this powerhouse brand’s appeal with audiences and sponsors alike, we are excited to take it out to market with other broadcasters and platforms so it can continue to entertain audiences for years to come.”

The 2026 winner of I’m a Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! was Triple J breakfast host Concetta Caristo. Past winners have included netballer Liz Ellis, comedian Fiona O’Loughlin, singer Casey O’Donovan, and English cricketer Andrew “Freddie” Flintoff.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.