Advertisement

Harry and Meghan’s Australian tour sparks scrutiny in the UK

Source: TikTok/Danielatki

While debate continue’s over whether the recent Australian visit by the Duke and Duchess of Sussex overstepped their non-royal status, an embarrassing video has emerged showing how little some cared.

Among the many paid, and non-paid appearances the couple made while in Australia was a trip to Bondi Beach to meet survivors of this year’s deadly shootings.

As a crowd surrounded Harry and Meghan on their way across the sand, video has emerged of at least one beachgoer who was less than impressed by brand Sussex.

Video of the scene shows the beachgoer simply looking up at the chaos around her while making no attempt to move out of their way.

sussex

The woman barely acknowledged Harry and Meghan. Photo: TikTok/Danielatki

The moment was shared across social media with one thread on Reddit dubbing the interaction “Bondi Beach goer give zero f–ks, refuses to move for crowds attending and filming Harry and Meghan, keeps reading her book”.

Meanwhile, if the Duke and Duchess of Sussex were hoping their quasi-royal tour of Australia would help restore their brand, they may be disappointed.

A new poll in Britain found overwhelming public opposition to Prince Harry and Meghan Markle using their royal titles for commercial purposes.

A survey of 2000 adults by the Mail on Sunday newspaper revealed that 61 per cent of respondents oppose the couple leveraging their Duke and Duchess of Sussex titles for personal gain.

When excluding undecided participants, opposition rises to nearly 80 per cent, with only 16 per cent expressing support.

The poll comes highlights much of the British reaction to the Sussex’s Australian trip, where they combined charity appearances with paid speaking engagements and branded events last week.

Critics argue the approach blurs the line between public service and private profit, reigniting debates dating back to their 2020 departure from royal duties.

During the so-called 2020 Sandringham summit, Queen Elizabeth II ruled out “half-in, half-out” roles, insisting Harry and Meghan fully step back from official duties.

The decision barred them from using HRH titles while allowing them to retain Duke and Duchess of Sussex.

The perception of the Australian visit has been mixed, with some praising the couple and others labelling the trip a cash grab.

“They are keen to resurrect their reputations as royals, while pretending they’re not royal and cashing in completely on their royal status,” royal author Tom Bower said.

“I just find them pretty unconvincing,” Bower added.

“For a couple who said they had to leave Britain because they needed their privacy, who now do everything to expose not only themselves but their children to cash in on it all, it’s pretty grotesque.”

Wealth adviser Ted Jenkin estimated the Australia trip could generate more than $10 million for the couple – with $2 million from speaking fees, $3.5 million from sponsorships and $4.5 million from content – including an odd appearance by Meghan as a guest judge on MasterChef.

Source: Network Ten

Supporters, however, point to the fact that the Sussexes also made stops at the Royal Children’s Hospital, the Australian National Veterans Arts Museum, McAuley Community Services for Women, the Movember HQ and took part in an Invictus Australia reception.

The tour and its significance appeared to have bemused Australians – at least if The New Daily readers are any guide (as they surely must be).

We asked last week if you were excited for the Sussex visit – a staggering 82 per cent of nearly 4000 votes by Wednesday afternoon dismissed them as “just a rich couple”.

Royal commentator and journalist Afua Acheampong-Hagan said the trip was largely a success, although she noted media coverage in Australia and the UK saw it very differently.

“It’s very interesting to see the way the British tabloids have reported it compared to some of the Australian outlets, who seem to be more joyful and happy,” she said.

“Some of the UK tabloids are saying ‘there was a chaos, here and there’, when there just wasn’t.”

-with AAP

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.