Harry’s true purpose for ‘royal’ visit with Meghan revealed

Source: Sussex visit pool footage
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s ‘faux royal’ tour of Australia shifts to Sydney on Thursday as questions arise about its real purpose – after some words from Prince Harry that may alarm Buckingham Palace.
Asked at the Royal Children’s Hospital in Melbourne on day one about his visit with wife Meghan Markle, Harry replied:
“We are part of the royal family, but not the royal family – and the sooner that is in everybody’s minds, the better.”
The quote appears to fly in the face of the directive from Harry’s grandmother, the late Queen Elizabeth II, that the couple could not be “half-in, half-out” as working royals. The message was reinforced by the King last September in a rare meeting with his younger son.
Harry and Meghan’s four-day visit to Australia could easily be mistaken for an official royal tour. They were greeted by an adoring crowd at the hospital on Tuesday before filling the rest of their day with charity visits.
On Wednesday, Harry went solo for another charity gig at the headquarters of AFL team the Western Bulldogs in Melbourne before flying to Canberra to visit the Australian War Memorial.
It was later revealed that “passionate foodie” Meghan had been filming an episode of MasterChef Australia as a guest judge, with the show’s 18th season to air on April 19.
“We’ve had MasterChef royalty in the kitchen before, but no one like this,” said host Poh Ling Yeow as the duchess made her entrance, in a clip shared to Instagram.
Source: MasterChef Australia
Certainly, it appears to have bemused Australians – at least if The New Daily readers are any guide (as they surely must be). We asked on Tuesday if you were excited for the Sussex visit – a staggering 82 per cent of nearly 4000 votes by Wednesday afternoon dismissed them as “just a rich couple”.
Harry and Meghan haven’t been working royals since 2020. Despite the turnouts and publicity, their visit is strictly unofficial.
Plenty of their scheduled events also have a more commercial focus that might be expected from royals. Reportedly, they also included private business meetings for Meghan on Wednesday – while Harry was doing his charity work – as she prepares to launch her lifestyle brand As Ever in Australia.
Nor will there be any public walkabouts, state dinners or official welcome by the Governor-General.
University of Sydney history professor and monarchy expert Cindy McCreery said the trip was likely mostly about marketing.
“The fact they have chosen Australia as the place to do this activity, it does reflect that way that Australia could add to their brand,” she said.
“We also need to be aware that their options are somewhat limited. They could not do this trip in Britain; that absolutely would not be supported.
“Australia’s an experiment, and it will be interesting to see whether this leads to future visits to other countries, with the same kind of combination of charitable and commercial activities.”
Back in Britain, the trip is reportedly causing some consternation.
“The Sussexes’ ‘faux royal’ tour to Australia is intended to boost their brand,” veteran royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams told the Daily Express.
“However, in contrast to their 2018 tour, when they were working members of the royal family, this looks very dubious.
“It has become notorious owing to Meghan’s main activity, her so-called all-women Wellness Weekend at the Inter InterContinental Sydney Coogee Beach Hotel.”
Meghan will headline the exclusive retreat that has been pitched as a “girls weekend like no other”. Just 300 tickets were available, starting from $2699; a VIP experience that includes a group photo with the duchess costs $3199.
“The whole hotel … is totally closed to everybody as of Friday morning through to Sunday afternoon. Unless you’ve signed up to attend the event, you can’t go into the hotel,” entertainment reporter Peter Ford told 2GB on Tuesday.

Harry and Meghan greet the crowd at Melbourne’s Royal Children’s Hospital. Photo: AAP
Harry, meanwhile, was scheduled to deliver a keynote speech at a mental health summit in Melbourne on Wednesday night. Tickets ranged from about $1000 to $2400.
There’s another potential issue for the official royals too. Late last year, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese invited Harry’s estranged brother Prince William to visit Australia with wife Kate.
Fitzwilliams said the Sussexes trip might complicate that.
“It is also likely to upset the palace as Australia is one of the King’s realms and was due a visit by the Prince and Princess of Wales, who were last there in 2014,” he said.
“One thing is for certain, they are getting attention.”
But there was support for Harry and Meghan from an insider.
“The truth is you have a couple heading Down Under for work. While they’re in town, they’re going to check-in on some charitable causes that they have long supported and – in the duke’s case with the Invictus Games, he set-up,” the friend told Britain’s Mirror newspaper this week.
“The couple are critically aware that by just visiting a charity, they can help shine a light on its work – bringing media attention that wouldn’t otherwise exist. They don’t have to do that.
“They could just as easily get paid and head straight back to California. It’s an irrational reaction to s–t-can a couple who just want to support some the charitable causes close to them. God forbid they try to do any good in a world that could, frankly, use a little more Harry and Meghan, and a little less sniping from ‘royal commentators’ who make a living by providing hate bait for anyone willing to platform them.”
Harry and Meghan will end their trip in Sydney, where they will sail on the harbour and attend a rugby match.
-with AAP
Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?
- Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
- Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.








