Advertisement

Andrew clings to final royal vestige as downfall not yet complete

No longer a prince

Source: Sky News UK

Andrew Mountbatten Windsor has lost all his titles, but he will not be removed from the royal line of succession.

Andrew is eighth in line to the throne, behind his nephew Prince William, William’s children, George, Charlotte and Louis, Prince Harry and Harry’s children Archie and Lilibet.

The UK government said it had no plans to pass a law to remove Andrew from his position in the line-up.

The King on Friday (AEDT) took the extraordinary step of stripping his brother’s titles and honours, including the one he has held since birth — prince — and evicting him from his home of 20 years, Royal Lodge.

Andrew is expected to relocate to a home on the Sandringham estate, and his housing would be privately funded by his brother, the King.

Buckingham Palace has not said which property on the 20,000-acre estate would become Andrew’s new residence, but the BBC reports it is unlikely to be his late father Prince Philip’s home, Wood Farm.

Andrew was served formal notice on October 30 (UK time) to leave the 30-room Royal Lodge where he has been living rent-free.

However, fresh reports on Saturday suggest he will be given until January 2026 to move out and could receive a $1 million compensation payout for the early eviction.

Several reports on Saturday (AEDT) stated that his ex-wife Sarah Ferguson would no longer share accommodations with Andrew when he is kicked out.

“She is going to be moving out and into a separate home,” a source who knows Ferguson told PEOPLE.

“Contrary to reports, she has never asked for a property or any provision for herself.

“She will continue to forge an independent life.”

A palace source added that it was unlikely Ferguson would relocate to Sandringham.

From now on, the King’s scandal-plagued brother will be known simply as Andrew Mountbatten Windsor.

Andrew loses his titles Prince, Duke of York, Earl of Inverness, Baron Killyleagh and will not be called “His Royal Highness”.

He has been removed from the Official Roll of the Peerage, which is the official public record of peerages.

“The monarchy needed to draw the thickest line they could between Andrew and the rest of the royal family,” said Craig Prescott, an expert on constitutional law and the monarchy at Royal Holloway, University of London.

“And he’s precisely done that.”

However, historian Andrew Lownie, author of a recent biography of Andrew and his ex-wife, said he believed the troubled royal’s downfall wasn’t yet complete.

Lownie said there could be grounds to investigate allegations ranging from sex trafficking to misconduct in public office.

“I don’t think it’s the end of it, I think there are many more disclosures to come,” the author of Entitled: The Rise and Fall of the House of York, told Britain’s Press Association.

“But at least they’re taking some decisive action.”

Andrew’s disgrace comes as the king, who is 76 and undergoing treatment for an undisclosed form of cancer, works to resolve stubborn problems and buttress the foundations of the monarchy for his elder son, Prince William, to inherit.

“This, I think, was a very clear statement of what had to be done to get the house in order (now) and also going forward for the future,” said George Gross, a royal expert at King’s College London.

“That makes life easier for Prince William … I think that’s also part of it. But it felt inevitable.”

While the King’s decision may help shield the monarchy from the fallout from the scandal, it won’t end Andrew’s problems.

The latest round of stories about Andrew was triggered by the publication of a memoir written by Virginia Giuffre, who alleged that she was trafficked by Epstein and had sex with Andrew when she was 17. Giuffre, an American living in Australia, took her own life earlier this year.

Her brother, Sky Roberts, on Thursday lauded his sister’s long fight to expose Epstein and Andrew, but continued to call for the King’s brother to be prosecuted.

Andrew has repeatedly denied having sex with Giuffre or committing any crimes.

Andrew, 65, is the second son of the late Queen Elizabeth II. He spent more than 20 years as a Royal Navy officer before leaving to take up his royal duties in 2001.

He has been the subject of tabloid stories stretching back to at least 2007, when links to foreign leaders drew speculation.

But royal experts believe Andrew was often shielded from the full weight of his scandals because of his position as the queen’s favourite child.

That became untenable in November 2019, after Andrew gave a disastrous interview to the BBC in an effort to counter media reports about his friendship with Epstein.

Soon after the interview aired, Andrew was forced to give up all of his public duties and charity roles.

Now Charles is severing his brother’s remaining ties to the institution of the monarchy.

Want to see more stories from The New Daily in your Google search results?

  1. Click here to set The New Daily as a preferred source.
  2. Tick the box next to "The New Daily". That's it.
Topics: Royals
Advertisement
Stay informed, daily
A FREE subscription to The New Daily arrives every morning and evening.
The New Daily is a trusted source of national news and information and is provided free for all Australians. Read our editorial charter.
Copyright © 2026 The New Daily.
All rights reserved.